Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: M1 Carbines at Midway

Everybody keeps saying they are not good for anything. I think they are fine for HD. I found a lower grade one, with a scope mounted, for $300 at Oaks a few years ago. With good mags it functions fine.
    For what I want, these prices are too high, maybe for a collector.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Everybody keeps saying they are not good for anything. I think they are fine for HD. I found a lower grade one, with a scope mounted, for $300 at Oaks a few years ago. With good mags it functions fine.
    For what I want, these prices are too high, maybe for a collector.
    Many people wouldn't rely on an 80-yr old gun for self defense. I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

I have lever guns and shotguns from the 1870's and 1890's that work flawlessly and I would have no problem using them for defensive purposes.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I have lever guns and shotguns from the 1870's and 1890's that work flawlessly and I would have no problem using them for defensive purposes.
    LOL. Are you arguing that 80-yr old M1 carbines are as reliable as lever guns and pumps, or are you just being a wise-ass because my post should have been more specific?

(Chester County)

I'd rather have an 80 year old M1 Carbine with the 20 rounds mags than a 80 year old 1911 with 7 round mags for home defense. I put thousands of rounds through an Inland Steel Korean reimported without so much as a hiccup. It's like any other gun, you have to become familiar with it, shoot it often and keep it clean. You do the same thing qualifying a sidearm for concealed carry. I would have no problem keeping that Inland steel M1 I had for home defense if that was the only gun I owned. It's effective for the distances that it was designed for, 100 yards or less. I had some 30 round mags for it, they have a bit of a curve to them and I talked to people at the club that had some reliability issues with them but I never experienced any with the ones I had. Most of my mags were the straight 20 round mags and never had a bit of problem with them. If you're not comfortable or familiar with the gun you use for home defense then get one you are comfortable with and are confident in it's reliability.

The US Army equipped some soldiers in the Korean War with M1 Carbines instead of a Main Battle Rifles and that wasn't a very good idea because the Carbine was never intended for that purpose and it wasn't effective at longer ranges than 100 yards. It got a bad reputation for being ineffective not because it was a bad gun but because of the way it was put into use by incompetent Army officials. That is not a new story.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

LOL. Are you arguing that 80-yr old M1 carbines are as reliable as lever guns and pumps, or are you just being a wise-ass because my post should have been more specific?
    I have two M1 carbines. Both have been reliable with 10, 15, and 20 round mags. They don't like 30 rounders as much, but they will run 95% of the time. I have no qualms about using either one for HD with a 15 round mag. Hell, they're light enough, I could use one in each hand. Wouldn't hesitate to use an M1 Garand for HD, either, though I'd be a little worried about over-penetration.

I don't care how old the gun is. If it's reliable and shoots an effective cartridge, it will work for HD.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I have two M1 carbines. Both have been reliable with 10, 15, and 20 round mags. They don't like 30 rounders as much, but they will run 95% of the time. I have no qualms about using either one for HD with a 15 round mag. Hell, they're light enough, I could use one in each hand. Wouldn't hesitate to use an M1 Garand for HD, either, though I'd be a little worried about over-penetration.

I don't care how old the gun is. If it's reliable and shoots an effective cartridge, it will work for HD.
    ^^^^^what he said the M1 Carbine was the first PDW *.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

From my M1 Carbine post * The Army never intended the Carbine to be a front line battle rifle that was always the role of the Garand . The problem was that often times as is normal in war the carbine found itself at the front in the hands of an infantrymen who had traded his Garand for something lighter. The Carbine was the first "PDW" it just didnt know it yet. The Carbine had a service record from WW2 , Korea and even saw action in Vietnam( on all sides US , ARVN and VC ) . The cartridge was effective when used within its effective range, up to 200yrds the Army's assertation of 300 was always a stretch. The .30 carbine is almost equivalent to a .357 mag fired from a carbine.
    The GI's who fought with them all had mixed opinions , some loved them some hated them. The Germans on the Western Front loved the little rifle and took them whenever they could, they called it the Selbstladekarabiner. It was very popular in the Pacific theater as a patrol rifle ,light and easy to carry ,but it struggled with penetrating heavy underbrush and vegetation. I can see how it was so well received when given the option of a 1911 or M1 Carbine and historically it was the most produced small arm of the war with over six million being produced. I would not feel undergunned taking one into action even today , BUT if given the option of my Garand or my M1 I would choose the Garand.
    It really is interesting digging into the history behind this little rifle and really does open ones eyes to some of the mis-truths and anecdotes associated with this piece of history.*
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

I have 2 carbines. Both went thru post-war rebuild by Standard Products. 1 went on to Greece (Greek-returned thru CMP) , 1 was sold thru the DCM in the 60s , as in original shipping box and had hardly been fire since. Both have been 100% reliable using genuine USGI mags. With 110gr JHP ammo , it would make an excellent defense weapon. I'd bet someone , somewhere is carrying a US supplied carbine in a conflict today.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

I picked up mine today. Like Midway or not, they ship fast.

When I got home there was a 1400.00 stimulus check in my mailbox. never expected that. so its a good day.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast