Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (McKean County)

Default Moving from PA to NC later this summer - transporting collection

Good morning everyone.

Studying all the resources here and elsewhere, my F150 King Cab is going to be the transport vehicle later this summer when we move. I don't have a cap on the truck, so everything will be behind the seat, and obviously the ammo & firearms will be separate in ammo boxes and the firearms in sleeves, and about 10% in the few lockable cases I own. The concern is the requirement for "locked container" within the safe passage provisions. For a one-time trip of 11 or so hours here to there, it would be a good sum to get a locked container for each.

There doesn't seem to be a way around this, and the bed is going to be full of housewares and such anyway. I guess I'm either taking a chance or facing getting lockable containers - I'm even thinking out of the box and wrapping a steel cable around all the sleeves, but that's only tossing an idea out there. Or I use another vehicle for the task.

Ideas? Will be traveling down I79 to 19 through Summersville, then 77 down to the Charlotte area. So, traveling through WV, VA then into NC.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for a subject that has been discussed before. Prof
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Moving from PA to NC later this summer - transporting collection

Do you have a LTCF? Are any of your firearms illegal in any of the states you are passing through? Are locked boxes really necessary? You might be addressing a problem that you don't have. IANAL
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Looks like you are avoiding MD and 81. That's the tricky state usually headed south. Ammo separate of the long guns and you will be fine. Pistols ammo separate if you do not have a LTCF

(Lancaster County)

If I am traveling I like to clear weapons, and when they are cased, toss a zip lock on the zippers. For me its just a visual that the weapon is clear and ready to go, but, it also technically is "locked"
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(McKean County)

Thanks guys - and yes I do have my LTCF, and yes AR's and those horrible standard magazines are slated to be on board. VA is the concern, but again just passing through.

Prof
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Just mail them all to yourself. USPS is reliable.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Montgomery County)

I don't know what is going on with VA these days - but if avoiding MD you're likely fine...

(Berks County)

I'd say that you are right to be concerned about VA and if you have US Law Shield or USCCA insurance, you could call them, they should have solid advice. Could you possibly lock all questionable firearms in one larger box? It would be cheaper than buying multiple boxes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'd say that you are right to be concerned about VA and if you have US Law Shield or USCCA insurance, you could call them, they should have solid advice. Could you possibly lock all questionable firearms in one larger box? It would be cheaper than buying multiple boxes.
    What would be the concern with VA? He has his LTCF and the only one he'd need to be concerned with is MD, but if he does it right you literally spend less than a quarter of a mile into MD. It's PA then MD for about 1/4 mile then you're into WV.

Don't do anything to get pulled over!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast