Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perhaps a question for Joshua

Recently received a registration form for the Moonlight Memories car show in Hatboro, PA. This show is staged on the streets of downtown Hatboro and is sponsored by the Greater Hatboro Chamber of Commerce. The form requires a signature stating that the undersigned agrees to abide by some enumerated rules put forth by the car show committee. Rule #4 says, “Knives, guns, blades, swords or weapons of any type are not permitted in the car show.”

My question is, can they even do this? This show is held on the streets of the town – public thoroughfares. In this case aren’t the pre-emption laws in effect? Or are the streets considered ceded to the chamber of commerce making it a “my house, my rules” private property issue?

Not sure if this is relevant, but there is no fee charged for spectators, but there is a fee to register your car to show it. Also not sure if these "rules" are in public view (applies to both spectators and registrants) or only on the registration form for those wishing to show their car.

Strictly a matter of principle. I don’t understand why this would have even been considered by the car show committee – another sign of cancel culture “wokeness”?

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Perhaps a question for Joshua

Of course they can't.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

I think if it's a "permitted event" they can have that rule and it wouldn't be a preemption violation. But also wouldn't really be enforceable anyway so I personally wouldn't pay much mind to it.

Curious to see other answers as I'm not sure at all.

(Berks County)

IANAL but...my thoughts are that they can preclude you from participating in the show but can't do anything to those who just come to attend. Concealed is concealed.

ETA: I see it similar to me and my buddies going for a walk through town. I can make any requirements I want of my buddies in order for them to attend my walk.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Just don*t leave it in the console.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Monroe County)

Show up in a jeep with an M2 mounted.
    your move bitches..
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I know that concealed is concealed, so let's take that out of the equation. PA is an open carry state, let's consider the question from that perspective.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I know that concealed is concealed, so let's take that out of the equation. PA is an open carry state, let's consider the question from that perspective.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Only open carry to LTCF holders currently, due to the state of emergency declarations (opiod disaster, soon to be ending covid disaster...) of our Dic...err, Uncle Tom in chief

(Berks County)

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    IANAL but...my thoughts are that they can preclude you from participating in the show but can't do anything to those who just come to attend.

ETA: I see it similar to me and my buddies going for a walk through town. I can make any requirements I want of my buddies in order for them to attend my walk.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    If the "show" has rules and you don't follow them, pretty sure they can ask you to leave. The real question is, what happens if you DON'T leave. I'm not sure how preemption applies to permitted public areas (as in, normally "public" areas that have been issued permits for specific private events). I suspect it's treated as "private" property at that point and trespassing laws would apply. IANAL and am FREQUENTLY wrong on stuff like this, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast