Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: AR Pistol Build/Assembly?

It'll fire folded if you have a 2.5" buffer tube. Gonna cost you, though...

https://deadfootarms.com/products/pr...-stock-adaptor

Attachment 146669

(Allegheny County)

I guess that's what I was thinking of!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I thought ATF had a problem with AR pistols with folding braces due to the length when folded. Something about the folded minimum OAL being another relevant dimension.
    Don't think so. There are plenty of pistols with a small OAL . Could add a folding brace to a Glock with no issues.

What you may be thinking of is meeting a 26" OAL to add a vertical foregrip where it then wouldn't be considered an AOW. They flip-flopped on how to measure the OAL - used to include the brace, but then it changed to just the buffer tube I think?? And then the folding adapters maybe have been impacted by that with respect to AOW status. Basically some ATF bullshit. I could be wrong, but I think you're fine with a folding adapter on an AR pistol.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Don't think so. There are plenty of pistols with a small OAL . Could add a folding brace to a Glock with no issues.

What you may be thinking of is meeting a 26" OAL to add a vertical foregrip where it then wouldn't be considered an AOW. They flip-flopped on how to measure the OAL - used to include the brace, but then it changed to just the buffer tube I think?? And then the folding adapters maybe have been impacted by that with respect to AOW status. Basically some ATF bullshit. I could be wrong, but I think you're fine with a folding adapter on an AR pistol.
    I think you are correct, I'm getting the issues mixed up. I understand the vertical grip/26" issue. I think the folding brace on a pistol issue was going the other way. Adding the adapter increases the length of pull causing the LOP to be in excess of the "magic" number.

To the OP, how was the stripped lower originally purchased? If purchased as a RECEIVER you are god to go to assemble it as a pistol or rifle. If the receiver was originally purchased as a rifle, then it*s my understanding that it needs to stay a rifle. If originally purchased to make a pistol, the dealer would have had (in PA) reported the sale as a pistol to the SP, on a separate form. I*m no expert, hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    To the OP, how was the stripped lower originally purchased? If purchased as a RECEIVER you are god to go to assemble it as a pistol or rifle. If the receiver was originally purchased as a rifle, then it*s my understanding that it needs to stay a rifle. If originally purchased to make a pistol, the dealer would have had (in PA) reported the sale as a pistol to the SP, on a separate form. I*m no expert, hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in here.
    Oh boy. Here we go again. LOL

Doesn't matter what the intention was when it was purchased - the FFL should have listed it (a stripped lower) as "other" -not "rifle", or "pistol" - it's neither of those things until such time as it is assembled as one of them.
    A stripped/virgin/never assembled lower is a lower - it's not a pistol lower - it's not a rifle lower - it's just a lower.

They USED to mark them as "pistol", but that was not how it was supposed to be done, and they were told to stop doing it that way.
    That was years ago.

And yes, if a lower came FROM an assembled rifle, it must always be used on a rifle.
    A lower that started it's life as a pistol can later be changed to a rifle, and then later be changed back into a pistol.

It's all so perfectly clear. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12