Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Issues with p80 Glock kit, not fully returning to battery

2 weeks ago, I test fired my p80 for the first time. It's a 19 frame and 17 slide. Tried to run a few of my reloads through it (didn't have any factory on hand) but the slide isn't going forward all the way after firing. By not going forward all the way, I mean the last 1/32nd" of an inch. A light touch on the back will bring it fully into battery. Sometimes if I "death grip" it, it will function, or if I rest it on the v of the shooting rest, it will function correctly most of the time. Slide action is pretty smooth. All sharp edges were removed during fitting and slide goes fully into battery with no rounds in the gun or when releasing slide stop on a full magazine. What should I be looking for? Slide has lightening cuts in it which makes me think it might not be paired with the correct recoil spring.

Also, slide is locking back with 1 round left in the mag sometimes. Not sure if it's related or not. Mags used were Magpul and Amend 2 brands. Ammo I load works in all my 9mm pistols and carbines, so that shouldn't be the issue.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Issues with p80 Glock kit, not fully returning to battery

Sounds like break-in is needed via more rounds or racking by hand.

Is it a brand new barrel/slide combo or one well mated off a previous gun? If possible, switching upper & lower onto other known/proven upper/lowers will help you isolate where the issue is.

(Allegheny County)

try a glock mag and factory ammo.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Sounds like break-in is needed via more rounds or racking by hand.

Is it a brand new barrel/slide combo or one well mated off a previous gun? If possible, switching upper & lower onto other known/proven upper/lowers will help you isolate where the issue is.
    I've racked the slide several hundred times so far. Feels no different in racking effort than any other 9mm I have. Its a new barrel and slide that came in the kit. I don't have any other Glocks to swap parts with, so that's out. The magazines I got from 2 different stores who had no factory Glock mags available. If the ammo works in at least 7 different guns, I don't see why it won't work in this one. It's not like it's failing to extract or double feeding (signs of weak loads).
    I will try today to see if slide will close without sticking on a mag full of snap caps. Not sure when I can get to the range again to test with live ammo, but I will bring some factory stuff to try.

The slide locking to the rear with one left in the magazine is perplexing. The magazines have a "flat shelf" on the follower to push upward on the slide lock after all rounds have been expended.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    The slide locking to the rear with one left in the magazine is perplexing. The magazines have a "flat shelf" on the follower to push upward on the slide lock after all rounds have been expended.
    Yeah, that one has got me stumped too. But it is happening every time. I wasn't riding the slide lock either, otherwise it would be locking back on more than just the last round.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    2 weeks ago, I test fired my p80 for the first time. It's a 19 frame and 17 slide. Tried to run a few of my reloads through it (didn't have any factory on hand) but the slide isn't going forward all the way after firing. By not going forward all the way, I mean the last 1/32nd" of an inch. A light touch on the back will bring it fully into battery. Sometimes if I "death grip" it, it will function, or if I rest it on the v of the shooting rest, it will function correctly most of the time. Slide action is pretty smooth. All sharp edges were removed during fitting and slide goes fully into battery with no rounds in the gun or when releasing slide stop on a full magazine. What should I be looking for? Slide has lightening cuts in it which makes me think it might not be paired with the correct recoil spring.

Also, slide is locking back with 1 round left in the mag sometimes. Not sure if it's related or not. Mags used were Magpul and Amend 2 brands. Ammo I load works in all my 9mm pistols and carbines, so that shouldn't be the issue.
    Slide stop spring not installed correctly.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Slide stop spring not installed correctly.
    This. put the top slide rail pin in first, then trigger pin. Also you have to bend the slide stop spring slightly some times with after market parts kit. As far as the slide, remove the depressor plunger bearing and install with it out, see if its any better. Too much pressure on the extractor is possible.

(Bucks County)

Make sure you have a nice clean channel for the recoil spring too.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post
    This. put the top slide rail pin in first, then trigger pin. Also you have to bend the slide stop spring slightly some times with after market parts kit. As far as the slide, remove the depressor plunger bearing and install with it out, see if its any better. Too much pressure on the extractor is possible.
    Slide stop spring seemed awful weak to me. I will look into these items tomorrow. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast