Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: The worst LPK I've handled to date

I had an issue with a safety in a 308 LPK. I don’t know what brand it was but the parts were grouped together in colored ziplock dime bags.

I made sure the safety was in the right position, then put in the detent and spring. Pushed the grip up a bit and slowly moved the lever back and forth a bit to make sure the detent was riding in the groove in the safety lever. When I fully seated the grip, it was very stiff and gritty. As I worked it back and forth a bit, it got stiffer. Felt like it required 20 foot pounds of force to get it to move.

So I take the grip back off. Detent and spring look fine. I removed the safety lever and there was steel filings in the detent groove. I wiped out the groove, re-oiled it and put it back together. It was a little stiff but it smoothed out pretty quickly. Did another clean and re-oil and it feels normal now.

My guess is that the detent groove in the safety wasn't machined properly, and the detent cleaned off some burrs or high spots. I didn’t notice anything when I put it together. I did examine the lever, and put a drop of oil in the groove before putting it in, but my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

The trigger is also very heavy. It breaks clean but feels like about 7-8 lbs. I picked up an ALG combat that still needs to go in there. Maybe I’ll do that today.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Interesting about polishing off the point. So you round the tip of the detent over?

I was reading last night and it also suggested more spring pressure to give a more positive click.

To be fair to my previous complaint and knowing that grips vary in how deep the springs sit, i tried a factory a2 and a bcm mod 3. Both felt pretty much the same.

I've heard some people use detents as a shim in the grip. I might give that a try. Then i can cut down the spring to size.

-Zach
    Yes, I take just a little off the point, but more so remove the steps from machining. Often the detent look like a Devo hat (for all you 80*s kids). Mine now look more like a ballpoint pen tip. I prefer the smoother disengagement while still having a positive stop.

Little pieces of drill bits (the chuck end), make perfect shims to tighten springs!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

I use CMMG and SOLGW kits so far ....but bought Forward Control Design spring kits as well....

(Delaware County)

You should read my thread on 1911Forum here: https://www.1911forum.com/threads/so...#post-13389241

For many years most kits use almost ALL of the same parts. Weather you spend less than $50, $75 or $100+, if they are *Made in USA* kits, they share a bulk of small parts. The safety/Selector, bolt catch, mag release are all Investment Cast. Only a few places are doing that, just as the Foundry Forges making Forged Uppers & Lowers.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    You should read my thread on 1911Forum here: https://www.1911forum.com/threads/so...#post-13389241

For many years most kits use almost ALL of the same parts. Weather you spend less than $50, $75 or $100+, if they are *Made in USA* kits, they share a bulk of small parts. The safety/Selector, bolt catch, mag release are all Investment Cast. Only a few places are doing that, just as the Foundry Forges making Forged Uppers & Lowers.
    I'm not in a position to argue that point, but i will say that they are visually different.

They could all come from the same place with different specs or from totally different places. Nothing would surprise me.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

No, you*re correct.. you*ll see differences at times between kits. And at times they are identical. Various machine shops may be doing final machine work. Some places do their own coatings or surface finishes. And of course, some places flat out LIE, and are really sourcing their parts from Biden & DEMONcrats favorite country, made of CHINESIUM. So always mind the completely unknown names.

Any time I*m giving advice on these parts, I recommend sourcing parts individually. I have a a set list of well known sources that sell parts individually. Machined, Nitrided parts down to the Detent Pins! And Chrome Silicon/High Carbon Springs.I do this because I know great parts every time, & also eliminates things I DON*T need! Like the stupid trigger guard, the A2 pistol grip or the Milspec FCG as I always use ALG triggers.

(Bucks County)

No, you*re correct.. you*ll see differences at times between kits. And at times they are identical. Various machine shops may be doing final machine work. Some places do their own coatings or surface finishes. And of course, some places flat out LIE, and are really sourcing their parts from Biden & DEMONcrats favorite country, made of CHINESIUM. So always mind the completely unknown names.

Any time I*m giving advice on these parts, I recommend sourcing parts individually. I have a a set list of well known sources that sell parts individually. Machined, Nitrided parts down to the Detent Pins! And Chrome Silicon/High Carbon Springs.I do this because I know great parts every time, & also eliminates things I DON*T need! Like the stupid trigger guard, the A2 pistol grip or the Milspec FCG as I always use ALG triggers.
    I try and source from reputable companies. The cheap kits don't cost much less than the name brands.

Some companies say that they machine everything. If untrue, I'd be curious as to who is full of shit.

I highly doubt most companies make their own detents. But maybe some do.

I use the a2 grips on a couple of test fixtures i have to test triggers.

I replace the triggers as well. I have like 4 or 5 mil spec triggers in bags.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

Unless it*s a Billet aluminum/steel part, they don*t make it! Almost NONE! And they certainly don*t make the forged or cast parts. Even the largest places. They don*t have Foundry Forges or Investment casting facilities. And it*s easy to tell if it*s forged/cast. The part will have casting lines and/or forge ID stamps. Just look at a Milspec Hammer. See the *S* or *P* with a circle around it? Pins are easier. As simple as the Take Down/Pivot detents. Most are just clipped pieces of cheep steel round stock. Like these.

Look familiar?

You*ll see uneven, sharp edges, etc.

I buy these.

Perfectly machined from high quality bar stock.

(Bucks County)

Unless it*s a Billet aluminum/steel part, they don*t make it! Almost NONE! And they certainly don*t make the forged or cast parts. Even the largest places. They don*t have Foundry Forges or Investment casting facilities. And it*s easy to tell if it*s forged/cast. The part will have casting lines and/or forge ID stamps. Just look at a Milspec Hammer. See the *S* or *P* with a circle around it? Pins are easier. As simple as the Take Down/Pivot detents. Most are just clipped pieces of cheep steel round stock. Like these.

Look familiar?

You*ll see uneven, sharp edges, etc.

I buy these.

Perfectly machined from high quality bar stock.
    Who is the maker of that detent?

-Zach

(Delaware County)

They are made by KNS. Easy to find... the picture is from Wing Tactical, but they can also be found at Optics Planet, Primary, etc.

I use LPK parts like the detents, springs & pins from KNS, & TPS. I use the Bolt Catch & Safety Selector Ground Zero. Still investment cast, but they are done well...cast with quality tool steel. I like simplicity that works correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12