I decided I'd give an adjustable gas block a try. I did my research and it sounded like the odin works adjustable gas block was for me. Made my purchase. It arrived. So far so good.

I bought two. I figured I'd put the first one on my carbine length s&w m&p15t.

Firstly, the handguard on this thing is incredibly stupid. It has these obnoxious screws that can't be easily removed. The ejection port side requires you to loosen them and then pull the handguard forward and then remove them. Otherwise they hit into the port hardware and can't be removed.

I get the handguard off. I see the factory block has set screws AND a taper pin. Why!? I removed the screws and mark the rear hole to eliminate guess work when i put the new block on.

It is my first time dealing with a taper pin and naturally i attempt to go in the wrong direction. Pin comes out once i try the other side.

Inconvenient, sure. But so far no signs of trouble.

I go to remove the gas block and it is on impossibly tight. I have to tap it off with a brass drift punch. It finally comes free and can't be removed because of the muzzle device.

D'oh. No big deal. I'm confused at this point as to how i got the brake on so tight. I finally get it free. Get the gas block off. Remove the roll pin and clean the gas tube.

Now I'm ready to install the gas tube into the new block. This is the part I expected to be the most difficult as previous experiences have taught me that the roll pin is evil and hates me. But nope. No issue. I have one of those little green anodized aluminum gas block support jigs. It required the removal of the adjustable guts from the gas block, but it fit and worked very well.

I put the guts back in. Slide the block into place. Tighten it down. Go to slide the handguard back on and... Nope.

I'm not in love with the handguard to begin with. So i guess i now have to find one with better clearance inside. I actually have a spare handguard. But of course I'll have to remove the gas block again and the barrel nut.

At this point, i look down and notice the stock is off by like 30 degrees. The buffer tube was like hand tightened (like without tools). I guess i have to address that next. I'll actually bother to stake the castle nut.

This is a factory rifle with no modifications outside of a trigger pack. How absolutely disappointing this entire thing is.

-Zach