Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default We can transfer your Destructive Device Purchases

Didn't think of advertising this before, but because we got our FFL 10 (Manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor piercing ammunition) so we can manufacture Claymores, HE grenades, 40mm HE rounds, etc for our High Explosives Classes, we can also now transfer your Destructive Device purchases, such as 40mm Grenade Launchers from LMT. Transfer fee is $150 plus the $200 ATF fee.

Any questions, give us a call.

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Default Re: We can transfer your Destructive Device Purchases

Just for clarification, if I understand correctly, only "large bore" destructive devices (i.e. grenade launchers, cannons, etc.) are legal for private ownership in PA due to Title 18, Section 908 "Prohibited Offensive Weapons".

Is that right? Or is there some legal way to own explosive DD's as a private citizen in PA?

In fact, I always thought that even FFL 10s couldn't make explosive DDs due to the "Any bomb, grenade" part of the definition. (i.e. explosives yes; explosive DD's no.) If so, that's a pleasant surprise !

(I realize you aren't a lawyer; just curious.)

ETA: Also, in re-reading the exceptions, Title 18, Section 908(b)(3) seems oddly worded:

"(3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

Doesn't that sound like it means the entire section (i.e. the prohibition on the ownership of "Any bomb, grenade, [...]") does not apply to any person who uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

In other words:
    1. I have a firearm for self protection.
    2. Self protection is a lawful purpose for possessing a firearm under the laws of this Commonwealth.
    3. Therefore "this section" shall not apply to me.
    4. So I can freely own "any bomb, grenade, machine gun [...]" under PA law, provided that they also comply with Federal law?

I'm fairly certain it doesn't work this way, but that sort of seems like a plausible interpretation of this exception.

Alternatively, all of this is technically legal because "CONSTITUTION, MOTHERFUCKER!"

I am DEFINITELY not a lawyer.
    Last edited by buckengr; May 27th, 2021 at 09:05 PM.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

Ah dammit I was trying to find an FFL for a 40mm DD I was eyeing a few months ago. Alas I think I might just DD a 37mm.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    ... Is that right? Or is there some legal way to own explosive DD's as a private citizen in PA?
    Not to my understanding, but my knowledge base is mostly focused on what we are allowed to do with our FFL 10 / FEL 20, which is pretty much anything we want to manufacturer. The only reason we became a FEL was because of our new bowling ball mortar, we legally weren't allow to charge customers to use it without an FEL because we were in fact "selling black powder", which requires an FEL, so when we applied for our Black Powder FEL license we noticed all the checkboxes on top of the application:

[ ] High Explosives
    [ ] Theatrical Flash Powders
    [ ] Blasting Agents
    [ ] Low Explosives
    [ ] Fireworks

I remember saying to the ATF agent helping me with the application, "High Explosives, does that I mean I can buy C4" and he replied "Yes", so I checked that box, then I asked, "What if I check all the boxes, does the license cost go up?", and he replied, "Nope". Check, check, check.. checked all those boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    ... In fact, I always thought that even FFL 10s couldn't make explosive DDs due to the "Any bomb, grenade" part of the definition. (i.e. explosives yes; explosive DD's no.) If so, that's a pleasant surprise !
    Having a FFL 10 by itself does not allow you to manufacture HE DD devices, but having a FFL 10 along with a High Explosive Manufacturing License (FEL 20) does allow it.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Not to my understanding, but my knowledge base is mostly focused on what we are allowed to do with our FFL 10 / FEL 20, which is pretty much anything we want to manufacturer. The only reason we became a FEL was because of our new bowling ball mortar, we legally weren't allow to charge customers to use it without an FEL because we were in fact "selling black powder", which requires an FEL, so when we applied for our Black Powder FEL license we noticed all the checkboxes on top of the application:

[ ] High Explosives
    [ ] Theatrical Flash Powders
    [ ] Blasting Agents
    [ ] Low Explosives
    [ ] Fireworks

I remember saying to the ATF agent helping me with the application, "High Explosives, does that I mean I can buy C4" and he replied "Yes", so I checked that box, then I asked, "What if I check all the boxes, does the license cost go up?", and he replied, "Nope". Check, check, check.. checked all those boxes.

Having a FFL 10 by itself does not allow you to manufacture HE DD devices, but having a FFL 10 along with a High Explosive Manufacturing License (FEL 20) does allow it.
    I want to be on whatever team you're on WTSHTF.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I want to be on whatever team you're on WTSHTF.
    You should attend our weekend High Explosives Classes in July. Nothing but smiles from the class when we pull out a case of dynamite and case of C4, "Let's blow some shit up."

(Berks County)

You should attend our weekend High Explosives Classes in July. Nothing but smiles from the class when we pull out a case of dynamite and case of C4, "Let's blow some shit up."
    I have creds, Tredd, was there last year on one hot, steamy day. Yes, we were all smiling!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Your site says not accepting new members

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Your site says not accepting new members
    Don't need to be a member to attend classes.

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/wcmg-llc-14770895526

Don't need to be a member to attend classes.

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/wcmg-llc-14770895526
    How long is your waiting list? Do you allow to shoot any video while attending the classes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast