Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question Scope Rings Help/Questions

Have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 that I'd like to mount to a 16" 5.56 AR. New to the scopes and rings part as I'm used to plain Magpul BUIS. What are the main differences between a set of rings or one piece? Is getting one of the forward cantilevers at all helpful? Are there any specific brands to look at or avoid? Also, in eyeballing it sitting on top, to would seem the charging handle may get a bit hidden, so do most upgrade to a larger one (Radian, Geissele, Primary Arms, BCM, etc.)?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Scope Rings Help/Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    Have a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 that I'd like to mount to a 16" 5.56 AR. New to the scopes and rings part as I'm used to plain Magpul BUIS. What are the main differences between a set of rings or one piece? Is getting one of the forward cantilevers at all helpful? Are there any specific brands to look at or avoid? Also, in eyeballing it sitting on top, to would seem the charging handle may get a bit hidden, so do most upgrade to a larger one (Radian, Geissele, Primary Arms, BCM, etc.)?
    I like one piece mounts. Lots of good options at all kinds of price points. If you are planning to keep the buis, you may want to consider a QD mount.

Leupold makes a very good cantilever mount. It isn't QD. But i do like mine. Warne makes good mounts. Most recently i got an American defense manufacturing mount. I've had 2 piece mounts. But i prefer the single mount.

I highly recommend the cantilever mounts for an AR. There is no real drawback.

You may want to get a torque wrench as well. Good mounts will have torque specifications for the rings and the base.

-Zach

(Erie County)

I use Aero precision one piece cantilever mounts on my AR's. I also use either Radian Raptor or BCM Ambi charging handles on my rifles as I shoot rifle Left handed
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Delaware County)

One piece, cantilever. Don*t spend a ton of money. These are one of those things that are price gouged! It*s a simple piece of hardware. It*s some complex piece. I use this one and found it*s actually made of 7075 billet. Most are made with the lesser 6061(even the very expensive ones). I used to look for expensive mounts. I run an ADM Recon S mount on my Bolt gun. It was like $180....and it*s still made from 6061. Then I got this mount for my last AR. It*s nicer than the Primary, Aero & even my ADM Recon. Yeah it*s made in China... but China has the ability to make good. What*s more sad is people think the mounts made by Leupold, Aero, Warne are made in the USA. Uhhh, NOO.., they AIN*T!

Here*s how mine came.

These are also made by ADE, & someone else. But I*m not sure if they are 7075. I know mine is. And it*s machined true. If you want to spend a little more, the Wheeler mount looks nice as well. But that*s about all I*d spend. Don*t waste money on a BLOCK of Aluminum that holds a scope in place. Seriously!

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Canti...8-3&th=1&psc=1
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the advice all, ended up going with a one piece cantilever mount from Primary Arms and it's been working well the past few months.