Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Does anybody run a lightweight bcg?

I'm considering getting one for a range toy so i can introduce my lady to centerfire rifles in as pleasant a way as possible.

I've been looking at the rubber city armory lightweight bcg's with adjustable gas keys. Either the skeletonized steel one or the titanium one.

I don't plan to use an adjustable gas block so the adjustable key I'd think is a requirement.

In addition to the bcg, I'd presumably want a lighter main spring and possibly a lighter buffer weight?

My understanding is that i want to reduce the reciprocating mass as much as possible.

Are there any known problems with the skeletonized BCG's as far as longevity?

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Does anybody run a lightweight bcg?

Lemme go look up the thread I have on my wife's lightweight build.

Between the muzzle brake, the adjustable gas block, and Taccom lightweight buffer, there's virtually no recoil.
    I have no idea how much the lightweight BCG factors in, but it has one of those as well.

BRB...

OK. Here's the link.
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=320603

Note that the Taccon lightweight buffer requires the use of an adjustable gas block. Maybe an adjustable gas key can be used in instead? I don't know.

EDIT: Her carbine has a midlength barrel as well, which should contribute to less felt recoil.
    Last edited by Emptymag; May 19th, 2021 at 10:36 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

This will be fine with light loads. If running a variety of ammo & in my quite involved working knowledge of building ARs, I*ve been best served running a normal BCG(actually the Azimuth enhanced), normal(or heavy) spring & H2 buffer, with either adjustable key or block. I prefer adjustable block, as total control is given at the source.

But your setup should work fine. My advice for those who will build multiple ARs, is to find a repeatable setup and duplicate EVERY time! I*ve been running the same BCG, Adjustable Gas Block, and H2 setup since 2014. And this is on more builds than the average bear.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Lemme go look up the thread I have on my wife's lightweight build.

Between the muzzle brake, the adjustable gas block, and Taccom lightweight buffer, there's virtually no recoil.
    I have no idea how much the lightweight BCG factors in, but it has one of those as well.

BRB...

OK. Here's the link.
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=320603

Note that the Taccon lightweight buffer requires the use of an adjustable gas block. Maybe an adjustable gas key can be used in instead? I don't know.

EDIT: Her carbine has a midlength barrel as well, which should contribute to less felt recoil.
    Very cool thread. The taccom spring set looks interesting. Says it is recommended with a steel bcg.

-Zach

How much recoil does a standard setup AR have?????????? All unnecessary in my opinion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    How much recoil does a standard setup AR have?????????? All unnecessary in my opinion.
    I've never had anyone hand my wife's carbine back to me and not say "wow".

Sure, a 5.56 is pretty light on the recoil compared to other center fire rifles, but virtually eliminating it makes a night and day difference.
    My goal with her carbine was "overall" weight reduction - I just figured I would dabble in reducing recoil as well while I was selecting parts.
    I could have easily spent five times what I paid, by choosing "exotic" parts, but I did it all on a moderately adjusted Emptymag budget.
    It all worked out. It's like PEW PEW PEW with a 22LR.
    Except for the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the muzzle brake. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I'm considering getting one for a range toy so i can introduce my lady to centerfire rifles in as pleasant a way as possible.

I've been looking at the rubber city armory lightweight bcg's with adjustable gas keys. Either the skeletonized steel one or the titanium one.

I don't plan to use an adjustable gas block so the adjustable key I'd think is a requirement.

In addition to the bcg, I'd presumably want a lighter main spring and possibly a lighter buffer weight?

My understanding is that i want to reduce the reciprocating mass as much as possible.

Are there any known problems with the skeletonized BCG's as far as longevity?

-Zach
    I have four of these AIMSurplus lightweight bolts in my 300blackouts, and also the AR10 version
    in my 6.5cm AR.

https://aimsurplus.com/light-weight-...carrier-group/

Mine are all NiB, but I don't see to be able to locate them on site now, maybe discontinued ?

Never had an issue with a bolt.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Hmm. Unnecessary. Where have i heard that argument before? Oh right. An Ar15 is unnecessary.

All joking aside, over gassed carbine length systems are more than a friendly punch to the shoulder. Is it unbearable? Certainly not. Am i going to reduce the recoil anyway? Yep. Because i can.

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    I have four of these AIMSurplus lightweight bolts in my 300blackouts, and also the AR10 version
    in my 6.5cm AR.

https://aimsurplus.com/light-weight-...carrier-group/

Mine are all NiB, but I don't see to be able to locate them on site now, maybe discontinued ?

Never had an issue with a bolt.
    Thanks! Now if it came with an adjustable gas block.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Hmm. Unnecessary. Where have i heard that argument before? Oh right. An Ar15 is unnecessary.

All joking aside, over gassed carbine length systems are more than a friendly punch to the shoulder. Is it unbearable? Certainly not. Am i going to reduce the recoil anyway? Yep. Because i can.

Thanks! Now if it came with an adjustable gas block.

-Zach
    Meh, never needed one...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I've never had anyone hand my wife's carbine back to me and not say "wow".

Sure, a 5.56 is pretty light on the recoil compared to other center fire rifles, but virtually eliminating it makes a night and day difference.
    My goal with her carbine was "overall" weight reduction - I just figured I would dabble in reducing recoil as well while I was selecting parts.
    I could have easily spent five times what I paid, by choosing "exotic" parts, but I did it all on a moderately adjusted Emptymag budget.
    It all worked out. It's like PEW PEW PEW with a 22LR.
    Except for the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the muzzle brake. LOL
    I agree... Just makes for a pleasant, absolutely reliable & repeatable AR. There are several ways to accomplish the same result, more or less

To the member who said it*s *unessessary*, some of us here have been doing this a LONG time. Basically the beginning of online ordering & beginning of the build culture right after the Clinton AWB expired. We kinda know what we*re talking about.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast