Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Does anybody run a lightweight bcg?

I look at this discussion this way, we all allegedly try to adhere to the Axiom "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast". So if you can shoot a standard unmodified AR proficiently at a said range(100 yards?) and shoot a respectable group in a certain time and a modified AR (one with less recoil)can could reduce the size of the group in the same time is that not a good thing?
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(York County)

Personally I would do a muzzle brake and a JP Silent Capture Spring. A good spring does more to reduce recoil than anything else I*ve seen.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Lackawanna County)

I’ve got two variations. One with an adjustable block, lightweight bolt, buffer and a precision armament m4-72 brake. It’s a 3 gun rifle and it is a significant reduction in recoil and muzzle movement.

The other is a 14.5 pinned lightweight build. It’s got a lot of 2a armament and v7 weapons parts and lots of titanium. It has an adjustable carrier and comes in at 4 lbs with an mro on it. The first thing that people say is how light it is. The second is how little it recoils.

Tinkering with the gas and adjusting does work. I don’t shoot light loads. I shoot everything. If it’s 223 or 5.56 I send it.

An adjustable carrier is the same as an adjustable block just regulates different.

(Bucks County)

If you are trying to make the rifle more *palatable* for a dainty female, you are going the wrong direction. Put in the heavier *M16* BCG. It will absorb more recoil, and make the gun cycle more slowly and that will make it a bit more pleasurable for her.

(Allegheny County)

Is the mission here to "tame" an existing gun, or build one from scratch?

I think there are different ways of getting less recoil depending on which it is.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

LOL! Ya see how a question about ARs is answered in 15 different ways? Will always be that way. Can be difficult to wade through because at least 50%-80% of responses are from 20-somethings who just built their first AR a year ago & are now *Interweb Experts*!

Your initial thoughts will be fine. Having adjustable gas pressure via adjustable Key or Block & you*ll be able to tailor to the round. Again, the light BCG won*t affect recoil either way. They are for lock time & cyclic rate.....competition rifles. Muzzle brakes are obnoxious! Noise & blast makers! And they look like crap!
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    LOL! Ya see how a question about ARs is answered in 15 different ways? Will always be that way. Can be difficult to wade through because at least 50%-80% of responses are from 20-somethings who just built their first AR a year ago & are now *Interweb Experts*!

Your initial thoughts will be fine. Having adjustable gas pressure via adjustable Key or Block & you*ll be able to tailor to the round. Again, the light BCG won*t affect recoil either way. They are for lock time & cyclic rate.....competition rifles. Muzzle brakes are obnoxious! Noise & blast makers! And they look like crap!
    My wife picked her muzzle brake because "it looks badass!"

So much for your years of expertise.

And if you don't like noise, maybe guns are a bad hobby.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    If you are trying to make the rifle more *palatable* for a dainty female, you are going the wrong direction. Put in the heavier *M16* BCG. It will absorb more recoil, and make the gun cycle more slowly and that will make it a bit more pleasurable for her.
    I think that depends entirely on how much gas you have going to the bcg. More weight slammed into your shoulder (even if at a slightly slower speed) can generate a lot of energy. Ammunition shows us this with both energy and penetration. Heavier might move slower but it can have more energy than a lighter round moving faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is the mission here to "tame" an existing gun, or build one from scratch?

I think there are different ways of getting less recoil depending on which it is.
    I was going to start with an existing rifle, but building isn't out of the question either. Hence no adjustable gas block. That isn't really a big deal to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I’ve got two variations. One with an adjustable block, lightweight bolt, buffer and a precision armament m4-72 brake. It’s a 3 gun rifle and it is a significant reduction in recoil and muzzle movement.

The other is a 14.5 pinned lightweight build. It’s got a lot of 2a armament and v7 weapons parts and lots of titanium. It has an adjustable carrier and comes in at 4 lbs with an mro on it. The first thing that people say is how light it is. The second is how little it recoils.

Tinkering with the gas and adjusting does work. I don’t shoot light loads. I shoot everything. If it’s 223 or 5.56 I send it.

An adjustable carrier is the same as an adjustable block just regulates different.
    Seeing as you have both, do you have a preference? Ease of use and maintenance?

I would think all things being equal, a heavier bcg and buffer traveling at the same speed as a lighter bcg and buffer is going to generate more recoil.

Of course, the goal here is too reduce the speed, weight, or both to ultimately mitigate recoil.

Adjustable gas slows the speed.

The bcg weight is fixed. The buffer weight is adjustable. Of course, reducing the weight of these things then requires even less gas to get moving.

I'd think just using lightweight bcg and buffer without reducing the gas might actually generate more force.

I'm pretty sure this is why it is all about tweaking everything to your particular rifle.

-Zach

(Lackawanna County)

The adjustable carrier was chosen because of weight. It’s a 2a armament titanium carrier. It was more weight saving than a block. Tbh. Pick one. They both do the same thing. The carrier may be a bit easier to adjust depending on what rail you have.

I agree... Just makes for a pleasant, absolutely reliable & repeatable AR. There are several ways to accomplish the same result, more or less

To the member who said it*s *unessessary*, some of us here have been doing this a LONG time. Basically the beginning of online ordering & beginning of the build culture right after the Clinton AWB expired. We kinda know what we*re talking about.
    Let me rephrase my previous response. IN MY OPINION, recoil from ANY 5.56 AR platform is negligible and therefore IN MY OPNION doesn't require fiddle fucking around. If you like to order things on line and feel part of the "build culture", then by all means proceed. The various manufacturers love it when you order their wares.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast