Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Guns Still Allowed at City Hall After Vote To Ban Them

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp...nav=menu69_1_3

Guns Still Allowed at City Hall After Vote To Ban Them

Guns are still allowed at Lubbock City Hall. This comes after the city council rejected a resolution that would ban concealed weapons at public meetings. Two council members proposed to post a standing sign prohibiting concealed handguns just outside council chambers. The only exception would be commissioned peace officers.

The idea to ban guns at public meetings comes from council members, Floyd Price and Linda DeLeon. DeLeon tells NewsChannel 11 she has seen one council member with a gun in these chambers. "I am very uncomfortable knowing that other than commissioned peace officers, there are guns in our meetings as we speak," DeLeon said. NewsChannel 11 asked, "today there are people with guns?" "Oh yeah," DeLeon added. We asked if they were sitting on the dais? "Possibly," DeLeon said.

DeLeon argued under the state's penal code councils can ban concealed weapons during public meetings. "It's something very important for us to honor with a sign and I've seen it at other buildings and we need to protect our employees here from those other than commissioned peace officers," DeLeon said.

Floyd Price added, "We get some pretty heated people while we are doing business for the city of Lubbock. So I don't think this is unnecessary. I think this is a necessary thing we need to look at."

But not all council members agree. Councilman John Leonard says approving a gun ban notice would work against Texas law. "If we were to post these notices and made that requirement and then enforced that through a ticket or other process it would be defensible and would not be enforce," Leonard said.

Councilman Paul Beane followed and argued concealed handguns make the chamber a safer place. "If this passes this chamber will become a far more dangerous place than it is right now," Beane said.

After Leonard and Beane both publicly spoke out against the ban, NewsChannel 11 asked if they carry concealed guns during council meetings. "I am not going to comment on whether I'm a concealed permit holder. That would negate the purpose of being a concealed permit holder," Leonard said.

"No," Beane said. NewsChannel 11 asked, "You don't? "I do not," he replied. "But I do have a concealed carry permit."

The vote was two to five against the resolution. Price and DeLeon voted in favor. Todd Klein, Paul Beane, John Leonard, Jim Gilbreath and Mayor Tom Martin voted against it.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Guns Still Allowed at City Hall After Vote To Ban Them

All the council members had to do was Google "Kirkwood, Missouri" to see how effective a council meeting gun ban works. Kirkwood, Missouri had one, but that didn't stop their local nutjob from killing two police officers, two council members and a zoning officer, and wounding the mayor and a newspaper reporter. Oh, the police finally showed up from the cop shop across the street and took out the nutjob. Kirkwood, Missouri had a council meeting gun ban.

(Northampton County)

It almost would have been entertaining for them to put up "no concealed handgun" just to see the looks on their faces when some local gun owners show up at the next meeting and abide by the signs... by carrying openly.

Haven't gun banners learned that, after the Virginia restaurant ban on CC, they need to be more specific in what mode(s) of carry they target?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    It almost would have been entertaining for them to put up "no concealed handgun" just to see the looks on their faces when some local gun owners show up at the next meeting and abide by the signs... by carrying openly.

Haven't gun banners learned that, after the Virginia restaurant ban on CC, they need to be more specific in what mode(s) of carry they target?
    I don't believe open carry is legal in Texas.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    It isn't... at all..

Even printing can get unwanted LEO attention.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    Whoops...

And I just pointed that out on another thread a few days ago
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ