Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Active Military Stationed in PA

Can I get a permit? I’m an AK resident and have a valid AL permit (from my last duty station). I’m stationed in Mechanicsburg (and will be living on NSA Mechanicsburg) if that makes a difference

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Active Military Stationed in PA

Yes

(Elk County)

You will need photo ID, and your military ID or AK DL will suffice. You also need a copy of your orders, and proof of PA residency, such as three months of utility or CC bills with your current off-post or post residence address. If you have a PA DL, there's your ID and POR. If the PADL is not your current residence address, a change of residence address card from PennDOT, or a CoRA email from the USPS will be required. Not a deputies or staff in all county sheriff offices may be familiar with resident military with orders and POR being able to apply for an LTCF, so you may have to ask for a supervisor if you get summarily refused right off.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You will need photo ID, and your military ID or AK DL will suffice. You also need a copy of your orders, and proof of PA residency, such as three months of utility or CC bills with your current off-post or post residence address. If you have a PA DL, there's your ID and POR. If the PADL is not your current residence address, a change of residence address card from PennDOT, or a CoRA email from the USPS will be required. Not a deputies or staff in all county sheriff offices may be familiar with resident military with orders and POR being able to apply for an LTCF, so you may have to ask for a supervisor if you get summarily refused right off.

Noah
    Seems more complicated then it needs to be.

I assume you have an AK permit (ACHP)

Strikes me he should just fill out and LTCF application, and get the permit like any other non resident. If the county sheriff doesn*t process it in 45 days as required by law, he would likely be an outstanding choice for the plaintiff.

We know some county sheriffs refuse to accept out of state LTCF. We also know refusing to accept out of state LTCF applications is illegal.

Which doesn’t even get into the fact that Pennsylvania has no definition of who is and isn’t a resident.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Seems more complicated then it needs to be.

I assume you have an AK permit (ACHP)

Strikes me he should just fill out and LTCF application, and get the permit like any other non resident. If the county sheriff doesn*t process it in 45 days as required by law, he would likely be an outstanding choice for the plaintiff.

We know some county sheriffs refuse to accept out of state LTCF. We also know refusing to accept out of state LTCF applications is illegal.

Which doesn’t even get into the fact that Pennsylvania has no definition of who is and isn’t a resident.
    I don’t have an AK permit. They do issue them, but they aren’t needed. Basically if you’re legal to own a firearm, you can carry it.

I do have an AL permit that I got at my Last duty station (Maxwell AFB).

Thanks for the info. It doesn’t sound like it’ll be too hard to get one, just need to get a few bills in the mail and go to the sheriffs office.

Will you be living on base or in off-base military housing? You might want to check if there's any regs on keeping firearms in your quarters.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Beaver County)

Glad to have you in the formum and in town brother

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Will you be living on base or in off-base military housing? You might want to check if there's any regs on keeping firearms in your quarters.
    I will be on base. They have a house available next month. There are a lot of rules to have a weapon on base, but I can have them.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for all the help and the warm welcome to PA.

(Cumberland County)

Got my permit. It was very easy. Walked in with my paperwork, walked out with my permit about 20min later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast