Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: MANUAL SAFETY INSTALLATION For Glock pistol. Anyone use 10 ring precision?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I like Lovell, but I disagree with him on having a safety on a carry gun. If you train for it, a safety is not a liability. That's the key. Buying a gun and sticking it a holster and calling it a day is not enough. Taking a class or two is not enough. You need to train until it becomes second nature. Train to the point that you thumb the safety off of guns that don't have them, and then train some more.
    I don't have a safety on any of my carry guns but I agree with you. If you draw the gun and click off the safety while you are brining the gun on target about 10k times you will never even need think about it. Most people never train this much. Your entire draw becomes subconscious if you do it enough. This is where it's a bad idea to switch platforms all the time. Going from a Glock to a 1911 in one practice session is how the "I just fucking shot myself" guy became famous. He switched guns and the retention holsters and gave himself "Glock leg" with his 1911 and that has two safeties.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: MANUAL SAFETY INSTALLATION For Glock pistol. Anyone use 10 ring precision?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I like Lovell, but I disagree with him on having a safety on a carry gun. If you train for it, a safety is not a liability. That's the key. Buying a gun and sticking it a holster and calling it a day is not enough. Taking a class or two is not enough. You need to train until it becomes second nature. Train to the point that you thumb the safety off of guns that don't have them, and then train some more.
    Most of the pistols I own have safeties. Not because it’s a requirement, it just kind of worked out that way with the stuff I like. Three of my carry guns don’t have safeties.

I don’t feel any more or less safe carrying either type. I’ve never felt confused or hesitant about the controls of any pistol I carry. I’m familiar with them all, and it seems like second nature to me. I tend not to worry about much and I don’t panic in crisis situations. I know that not everyone is the same but it’s not something that concerns me.

I’m a 1911 fanboy and I usually carry a G19. I wouldn’t prefer it any more at all with a safety. I haven’t tried to swipe off the nonexistent safety on it yet, but occasionally, I do put my left foot on the floor, when I come to a stop when driving an automatic.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Indiana County)

I'm just going to 2nd what someone else said about departmental carry and modified firearms, before dumping money into it, I'd make sure its something that will be allowed. The NY-1 and NY-2 springs are an idea to get into the DA revolver range and factory options, so maybe a little more viable.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by My Username View Post
    I'm not a Glock fan but cops carried revolvers with no safeties for decades and no one worried about it.
    Very different unless you are carrying your revolver hammer cocked. It's my understanding that a striker fired pistol with a round in the chamber is basically like a cocked hammer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Very different unless you are carrying your revolver hammer cocked. It's my understanding that a striker fired pistol with a round in the chamber is basically like a cocked hammer.
    Not quite. Striker fired pistols can be fully decocked (some Walther P99s, HP VP70, HK P7), partially cocked (Glock most notably), or fully cocked (HK VP9 amongst others).

Fully cocked VP9, or partially cocked Glock, both have a safety feature that differentiates it from carrying a fully cocked revolver. The trigger safety isn't there to prevent you from accidentally pulling the trigger, it's there to prevent inertia from "pulling" the trigger should the gun be dropped.

A striker fired gun properly designed and manufactured, with a trigger safety, will not discharge when dropped. Your fully cocked revolver might. See the first gen P320 for what happens when you don't have a trigger safety.

That being said, everyone has a personal preference. Me, I prefer no manual safety levers, but, I want a second layer of safety when holstering guns should something make its way into the trigger guard while holstering (such as clothing, sweater pulls, etc.). For me, that means having a hammer I can place my thumb over, or a device that prevents a partially or fully cocked striker from retracting and firing (some guns like the Walther PPS just come like this, or you can get the SCD for Glocks as I mentioned earlier).

As far as preventing YOU from accidentally pulling the trigger, that's mainly a training thing. But if you need a hardware solution to a software problem, I'm of the mind that trigger pull distance (say in a DAO or DA/SA or HK LEM) is a better solution than trigger pull weight (heavier Glock triggers).

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Not even close mechanism wise or trigger pull wise. Apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I don't have a safety on any of my carry guns but I agree with you. If you draw the gun and click off the safety while you are brining the gun on target about 10k times you will never even need think about it. Most people never train this much. Your entire draw becomes subconscious if you do it enough. This is where it's a bad idea to switch platforms all the time. Going from a Glock to a 1911 in one practice session is how the "I just fucking shot myself" guy became famous. He switched guns and the retention holsters and gave himself "Glock leg" with his 1911 and that has two safeties.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Most of the pistols I own have safeties. Not because it*s a requirement, it just kind of worked out that way with the stuff I like. Three of my carry guns don*t have safeties.

I don*t feel any more or less safe carrying either type. I*ve never felt confused or hesitant about the controls of any pistol I carry. I*m familiar with them all, and it seems like second nature to me. I tend not to worry about much and I don*t panic in crisis situations. I know that not everyone is the same but it*s not something that concerns me.

I*m a 1911 fanboy and I usually carry a G19. I wouldn*t prefer it any more at all with a safety. I haven*t tried to swipe off the nonexistent safety on it yet, but occasionally, I do put my left foot on the floor, when I come to a stop when driving an automatic.

I started competition shooting with a 1911 35 years ago. It was my main handgun for almost 20 years before I started buying the plastic fantastic guns. I still love the 1911 even though I don't shoot it nearly as much as I used to. I think that starting with the 1911 gave me a good foundation for other guns. Working a safety is second nature, and even if the gun doesn't have one, I'll still click it like it's there. And yes, I still find myself reaching for a clutch pedal even when one isn't there, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Medics aren't allowed to defend themselves?? Especially in bad situations??
    According to the police, that's the job of the police. I can see union reps complaining, "That medic shot a perp! He's taking away the job of a union police officer!!"

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    The trigger safety isn't there to prevent you from accidentally pulling the trigger, it's there to prevent inertia from "pulling" the trigger should the gun be dropped.
    I'm not in a mood to do the math but how fast would a gun have to be moving for a lightweight plastic trigger to have the momentum to overcome five or six pounds of spring tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    99.5% of the time you don*t need Anti-lock brakes
    It has been demonstrated time and again that a well trained driver can outbrake ABS. The same well trained driver doesn't need ABS to steer around an obstacle.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast