Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Finally started 12 ga reloading

I've discovered long ago that nothing gains negative feedback faster than actually doing something. I've been concerned about the ammo shortage for a while. I shoot trap (not a real competitor, just do it for funsies) and noticed the supplies of 12 ga 2 3/4 inch 7.5 getting short and prices skyrocketing. I was able to get a couple of cases of once-fired AA HS hulls, Win 209 primers, some 1 lb. bottles of Hogdon Clays, and appropriate wads. Then bought a Lee Load All II off eBay for $45. Told some of the guys at the range and... tons of comments about wrong loader, wrong powder, wrong shot (got a bunch of 7.5 magnum lead), offers to help me throw out the Lee and sell me used MEC 600s, $1200 progressives (I am not nearly far enough along for that), teach me how to cast shot (maybe some time, I've worked with all kinds of laboratory stuff), etc. Well... Watched YouTube instructions on using the Lee, got the Lyman book and also downloaded data from Hogdon and other sites. Now I know which end of the sizing die is up, how to install the bushings, set up the primers, and work my way through the process.

Yesterday, I started on depriming and repriming the hulls. Made 25 for a start. Checked weight thrown by bushing against scale, loaded powder, wad, shot, and crimped the 25. They look OK. I'll likely go to the patterning board on Wednesday - next available time for me. Will let you know how it goes.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Finally started 12 ga reloading

Some people have a way of making things harder than they need to be.

I've been using a MEC 600Jr. to fill my needs, which appear similar to yours and have not found myself wishing for a "Fancy" loader. I load mid range loads so I don't worry too much about details. I stick to one hull, one primer, one powder and max of two wads.
    Keeps me out of trouble and they all go bang. If the clay doesn't break it wasn't because of the ammo.

Good luck with your adventure.

I want to start reloading 12ga slugs and other types of projectiles. I dont follow shotgun stuff online.
    I can only imagine the price of components now.

(Lehigh County)

I don't do shotgun but a friend does so I give him my hulls. Walmart had Estate 12 ga 1250 fps target grade the other day for $22.17/100 box, not a bad price. They went fast though.
    NRA Life Member

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I want to start reloading 12ga slugs and other types of projectiles. I dont follow shotgun stuff online.
    Just as hard to find as centerfire

(Allegheny County)

If you're just doing slugs and buckshot, I don't know if I'd even get a press, since presses tend to be designed around loading small size shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    If you're just doing slugs and buckshot, I don't know if I'd even get a press, since presses tend to be designed around loading small size shot.
    What would I use to load them?

(Allegheny County)

What would I use to load them?
    Lee used to make Lee Loaders. Don't think they make them anymore, but you could probably fashion something similar. Crimp tools are readily available. I know people have created tools out of nails and dowels...

Buckshot and slugs don't go through a charge bar, so you end up loading them by hand anyways. And, some of those loads usually call for a roll crimp instead of a fold crimp - most presses do a fold crimp. Which means that you'd basically be using the press for deprime/resize, powder, and inserting the wad.

Lee used to make Lee Loaders. Don't think they make them anymore, but you could probably fashion something similar. Crimp tools are readily available. I know people have created tools out of nails and dowels...

Buckshot and slugs don't go through a charge bar, so you end up loading them by hand anyways. And, some of those loads usually call for a roll crimp instead of a fold crimp - most presses do a fold crimp. Which means that you'd basically be using the press for deprime/resize, powder, and inserting the wad.
    Ok, got it thanks. I'm sure they're fetching top dollar also. I'll keep my eyes out for one.

(Chester County)

https://leeprecision.com/shot-shell-...loading-press/

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast