Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New personel pics record

4 hour wait today for my pics to clear on a Henry rifle. Other people came, bought and left while i waited.
    It is a personal record.

Default Re: New personel pics record

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    4 hour wait today for my pics to clear on a Henry rifle. Other people came, bought and left while i waited.
    It is a personal record.
    Eh, i usually come home and tell the LGS to call me if they put me on hold for an operator. I figure, if it comes back denied for some idiotic reason, PSP will know where i live anyhow

Last one took almost 2.5 hours. Took the dog for an hour walk when they put me on hold, got back to shop, still on hold. Drove home 25 min, grabbed a sammich and a squat, and damned if i didnt get the call as soon as i sat down.

Funny thing was, PICS called the LGS about another purchase i made (that they marked in as denied on their end after approval and issuing approval # to LGS) while on hold for my check, and the PICS PSP detective showed up in the shop while i was there to check on another matter unrelated...

Thumbs up Re: New personel pics record

The long wait times just proves they need to raise the fee so they can expand/upgrade their computer system.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    The long wait times just proves they need to raise the fee so they can expand/upgrade their computer system.
    Voting is free yet uses substantial resources; shouldn't exercising your second amendment be free as well? Do we pay a newspaper tax, a voting tax, or a church tax?
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Eh, i usually come home and tell the LGS to call me if they put me on hold for an operator. I figure, if it comes back denied for some idiotic reason, PSP will know where i live anyhow

Last one took almost 2.5 hours. Took the dog for an hour walk when they put me on hold, got back to shop, still on hold. Drove home 25 min, grabbed a sammich and a squat, and damned if i didnt get the call as soon as i sat down.

Funny thing was, PICS called the LGS about another purchase i made (that they marked in as denied on their end after approval and issuing approval # to LGS) while on hold for my check, and the PICS PSP detective showed up in the shop while i was there to check on another matter unrelated...
    Most LGS don't let you leave during pics. Guy told me today if I leave it gets cancelled. I'm not sure if this is law or just policy but quite a few practice this.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Most LGS don't let you leave during pics. Guy told me today if I leave it gets cancelled. I'm not sure if this is law or just policy but quite a few practice this.
    I had this same convo last week during a check. He said PICS was really slow so be prepared to wait a couple hours and I couldn't leave the premise. Luckily it only took about 2 mins.

(Centre County)

The way PICS works when a person goes into Pending status (meaning that a PICS operator has to review the information before issuing the status) is actually two different ways.

1. When the info goes into the computer (either by the EPICS format or when phoning it in) and it's doing the checks, something, for whatever reason, sets a flag. Then it goes into the queue for a PICS operator for review. It works FIFO and how long it takes for you to get to the nex available operator depends on how many are in front of you. Early in the morning Pendings seem to be much shorter, then as shops start opening up and the system gets more inputs it slows down. I've had people go into pending and take 5 minutes to 4+ hours to get a result.

2. The computer is also set to randomly pick a check to send to an operator for review, even if no flags get set, it's just a "quality assurance" feature. But it still sends that check into the queue. I've had people that the check came back approved in 2 minutes or less and 2 days later it took 2 hours and a week later, 2 minutes. I had this explained to me by the head of the firearms unit when I questioned the length of time it took for a known "good" transferee to be approved.

A lot of this could be negated if the PSP did what most other states do, that is no check is needed if the person has their LTCF - but the PSP wants that money to come in (but I really question how much they would actually lose). But they could just say to use the LTCF number on the SP4-113 (Record of Sale) and SP4-134 (Surcharge Remittance Form) that has to be sent to the firearms unit every 2 weeks and still collect the $2-$5 for each FFL transfer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I had this same convo last week during a check. He said PICS was really slow so be prepared to wait a couple hours and I couldn't leave the premise. Luckily it only took about 2 mins.
    There is NO law that says you have to stay, both the state and federal forms have blocks to take this into account if a check takes longer than that business day or if a check comes back after the shop is closed. The shop should know this as it is explained in the PICS book and on the screen if doing EPICS what to do if the approval happens after business hours. A shop has AT LEAST 3 days to retrieve the number (and I think it is now 7 days because of them being swamped) before they have to redo the check.

I just tell a customer to go about their business and I'll call them when the status comes in.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; May 13th, 2021 at 06:28 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

There must be something funky with my name because my pics always seem to take a long time. Today was ridiculous. entered at 10:30 approved around 2:30.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There is NO law that says you have to stay, both the state and federal forms have blocks to take this into account if a check takes longer than that business day or if a check comes back after the shop is closed. The shop should know this as it is explained in the PICS book and on the screen if doing EPICS what to do if the approval happens after business hours. A shop has AT LEAST 3 days to retrieve the number (and I think it is now 7 days because of them being swamped) before they have to redo the check.

I just tell a customer to go about their business and I'll call then when the status comes in.
    Thanks for the info, wish you were in SEPA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast