Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 38 S&W

(Allegheny County)

Default 38 S&W

It's been a couple years since I reloaded them. I'm using the same star line brass, the same bullets, 2.1 bull's-eye powder. I know the bullet press and crimp die hasn't changed because when I was reloading them, I put J B weld on the screws so they would never move. My over all bullet length is 1.185 inches. When I last did them I scribbled some notes telling me my overall length is now too short. I had some recent surgery so I hope the anesthesia didn't screw up my brain. Could somebody please verify for me. Thanks Joe

(Centre County)

Default Re: 38 S&W

Speer #12 says Max cartridge length is 1.240" Max case length is 0.775" Trim to length is 0.765" 2.1 grs of Bullseye is pretty light, Speer shows 3.0 min, 3.2 max for Bullseye
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Why did you JB weld your dies? That is not good. Just set it correctly and tighten the locking rings.

I assume you are loading lead lubed bullets so when was the last time you cleaned your dies? the wax starts to build up on the seating die and the bullet OAL gets shorter and shorter. Clean them and they will be back to what you set them out. Unless you changed your bullets.......thats why I said do not epoxy your dies.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks fellows, you were right about the lube on the bullets. I called Missouri bullet company and they looked up my order, sure enough that blueline that goes around my bullet does indeed have case lube and it. JB Weld isn't hard to get off because I put just a little bit on it, so I will hit it with the Dremel and that's that. What's good to use to get the wax off ?

(Bucks County)

I use Eds red but any paint thinner / mineral spirits will work. Its a good idea to clean your dies every now and then anyway (especially if you have been loading lead). Unscrew the bullet seater and dig out all the wax, take the rest off with a wet Q-tip, Then run a bore brush thru the die a few times, and wipe off all of the solvent.

To get your bullet seater back to the right setting put a cartrige you reloaded into the shellholder and screw the seater in till it stops. That will get you close. When I set up a die I put sharpie marks on everything to show where it should be aligned. When you screw the bullet seater in it will stop close to the line then you do the fine tuning by your marks.