Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Help me date/ID this old shotgun

I recently came into possession of some old single shot shotgun that I'm trying to identify a little better and also figure out exactly what kind of ammo I can and can't shoot out of it.
    te0248.jpg

So here's what I do know. It was most likely made between 1915 and 1935 by one of three manufacturers, Iver Johnson being one of them. It was made for and sold by Montgomery Ward of Chicago. Some people are referring to very similar, to the point where I can't tell the difference between the two, shotguns as the Iver Johnson Champion, but most of them seem to be suggesting that one may be even older than what I have.

It is a very plain looking single shot break top shotgun with the word EXCEL stamped on the receiver. The only other markings are serial numbers stamped on bottom "tang" behind the trigger guard and also stamped on a part of the forend you can't see until you pop it off.

A friend whose done a heck of a lot more shooting than I recommended I only use standard, or even preferably mini shells in it because of its age and differences in pressures of modern ammunition. I wasn't planning on getting magnum shells or anything, but do I need to stick to shorter shells? What should I definitely NOT shoot out of this thing? I'm still pretty new to learning about all the different types of ammunition, and I just wanna be absolutely sure.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help me date/ID this old shotgun

You will need to figure out how to measure the chamber or take it to a gunsmith. Many of these old shotguns used 2 1/2 inch shells and modern 2 3/4 inch shells could be dangerous. Unfortunately you can't just stick the longer shell and see if it fits. It will. The chambers are reamed to fit the hull after it is fired.

(Philadelphia County)

Low brass shells,
    Ive shot endless shells out if similar shotguns with basic bird shot or basic clay pigeon shot,,,
    While this may not be very scientific, Keep to the mild loads, (low brass) and you should be fine, Aside, What else would you use it for?

I'll have to look but im pretty sure I have that same shotgun in 20ga
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

It should be marked on the barrel with gauge and chamber length , either just above the forend on the left side , or under the forend , along with proof marks. If ya take/post a pic , they can be verified. Many low priced single shot shotguns and rimfire rifles did not have ser.nos. Anyway , it's modern steel and will handle 2 3/4" shells fine. The 2 1/2" chambering was back in the black powder and damascus barrel years.

Found elsewhere.
    , , , the logo BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE was used by both Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and Stevens Arms & Tool Company . Guns with the name EXCEL were made for and sold by the Montgomery Ward Company. The name was used also on guns made by Crescent Fire Arms Company. I have no information on serial number-year made tables for either maker but if it was made by Stevens it would been after 1915 and before 1940.
    Last edited by abner13; May 15th, 2021 at 08:28 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Carbon County)

I agree with abner13. Even the guns made for hardware stores and other companies usually had the shell length and choke stamped on the barrel. I have some old Stevens, Remington, Marlin, and Winchester pumps and all are marked. One is an original J Stevens Tool Co. and it is marked.

Pull the hand guard and separate the action. Then look at the receiver and the bottom of the barrel.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.