Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default AR BYO aficionados. Gas block inquiry.

I'm working on another assembly and helping a couple others folks get the process started. I have a couple rookie questions.

1. Why do some company's barrels come with a preinstalled and pinned gas block. It has to come off anyway to install the barrel nut.

2. The you tube geniuses seem to think that dimpling the barrel for the gas block screws is so necessary - I disagree. If it is so necessary, why would the barrel producers just not drill at least one to begin with. Other than, then they could not sell the task specific tools.

Just curious. Too much time to think. My gal is out with some friends for a Mothers Day brunch.
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR BYO aficionados. Gas block inquiry.

For 2) some do pre dimple. But the reason most don't is because they don't know what gas block you're using and exactly where the set-screw will go. That and because some people just pin, so the dimples wouldn't be needed. You really don't need specialized tools so I advocate dimpling - adds security for not much effort.

(Washington County)

The barrel and standard FSB assemblies I see sold usually have the standard AR barrel nut installed. Regardless, it's not much work to remove the FSB (just make sure you're pushing the two tapered pins in the correct direction. If you're not talking about a standard FSB and you're seeing a barrel sold with a low profile gas block already fixed to it with no barrel nut, I haven't encountered that myself.

I agree with above, there is some variation in low gas blocks and the location of the two set screws so dimpling the barrel at the factory doesn't make sense.

Also, it's simple enough to do, but I also won't fault someone for not dimpling their barrel because most people gingerly carry their AR from the safe, to the car, to the bench, and back home without banging their rifle around or doing anything that would cause their gas block to move out of location.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Beaver County)

The dimple opposite the gas port is always the same regardless of the manufacturer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    The dimple opposite the gas port is always the same regardless of the manufacturer.
    True, so it would be nice for barrel makers to provide that one dimple. But whether it's cost or just knowing that someone installing a barrel can likely make a dimple too, they just don't do it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    Bingo! That is the one I referenced they could give us.

"Post pandemic" everything is priced quite higher than before. No more free shipping (well not like it used to be), plus everyone collecting 6% for Caesar and it almost is not worth it for the low level BYO like myself. Much less for the 2 guys I'm helping with their first.

Not to mention the lack of availability. No more one or two stop shopping.

I'm just sayin, if I buy a car, it would be nice if it came with both headlights.

Josh, yeah, was talking about the installed lopro blocks. Yeah, they can be removed, I look at it as one less process to take my time. Just add it to the bag if you insist on giving it to me.

For 35yrs part of my job was training others in time efficiency. Hard habit to break.

(Beaver County)

Price isn*t the only factor that can be hard to deal with when building. Lots of reports of poor QA QC with what is being produced even from reputable companies. You don*t want or need to deal with tolerance issues bc company X wants to churn it out fast and make a buck.

(Cumberland County)

Salt for my wounds brother!

I recently did a 2 star review on an item I got from a big name you all know. Good thing it is going on a work rifle not a safe queen. I thought I was polite and to the mildly to the point with my complaint. They didn't publish it. First time I even did a review. I wonder how often they do that to other customers that don't give a glowing 5 star.

I really regret getting involved with helping a couple friends. Getting parts alone is turning into a royal pain in the ass. And trying to source locally is impossible.

Hey, things could be worse. Every day above ground is a good day! We'll get there.

(Beaver County)

I have a back log of inventory dating back to 2012 and only being added to since then. If there is something in particular you*re looking for, let me know. I might have it. I might not. I might even be able to locate it. AR15.com equipment exchange is a good place to look. Sometimes AR15/AR10 parts pop up on here as well.

Even with all my experience and past projects, I*m constantly evolving and refining. I provide what info I can or direct you elsewhere.

(Delaware County)

I*ve never dimpled, and never had a GB move. That said, they can. Several years ago, I started using ONLY clamp on, adjustable GB*s. The clamp on blocks DON*T MOVE! And they don*t require drilling, dimpling through the finish(if not not done by barrel maker). The amount of force required to move a clamp on is equal to the level of sheering off a pin via pinned GB.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast