Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Mil dot scope recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I have a lot to learn myself but it seems to me that the complex reticle do a lot of the work for the shooter as opposed to dialing clicks. I'm a bit rusty in my research but i think if you search something like "Horace?" reticle in YouTube you will probably get some great info YMMV
    I'm still working on it too but my take on it is that the reticle calibrations let you compensate quickly for windage and elevation when you don't have time to dial it in with the turrets.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Can you explain or link me to a source that explains what to do with all of that at the bottom of the reticle?

-Zach
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/mil-dot_scopes.htm

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wyoming County)

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

What rifle/cartridge is it going on?

At what range do you expect to use it?

Do you want side focus knob?

What is your price range?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I have a lot to learn myself but it seems to me that the complex reticle do a lot of the work for the shooter as opposed to dialing clicks. I'm a bit rusty in my research but i think if you search something like "Horus" reticle in YouTube you will probably get some great info YMMV
    That horus tremor 3 looks so much more complicated than i need. I have zero way to shoot at moving targets. Haha. Nice to know it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm still working on it too but my take on it is that the reticle calibrations let you compensate quickly for windage and elevation when you don't have time to dial it in with the turrets.
    Yes. To a point. It is only quicker if you utilize it and use it. Kind of like reading sheet music or speaking a foreign language. If you don't immerse yourself in it, you are just bogged down.

I think if speed is the consideration here, i could just as easily use a bdc reticle. I'm taking leisurely bench shots. Not competing or going to war.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWHR8HibjhA
    I've seen this video before. It is very good.

https://youtu.be/jJWbR8YTOlA
    The Leupold TMR looks nice. Honestly, even the basic mil dot. I'm not sold on the extra marks. I'm not as intimated by them now either though. Maybe a slightly less busy version would be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    What rifle/cartridge is it going on?

At what range do you expect to use it?

Do you want side focus knob?

What is your price range?
    It could find its way into any of my rifles (.22lr, .223 Wylde, whatever toy i buy/build next?).

I mostly shoot at 100 yards. I'd like to be able to go out to 300 (not with 22lr). I realize I'm grossly overestimating my needs with a powerful scope in mil dot for what is essentially point blank for .223. But who knows where I'll be in a few years or what caliber I'll be shooting. The beauty of mil dots is the versatility.

I assume by side focus, you mean adjustable objective? Yes. I'd prefer that. But i don't care if it is on the side of the objective itself.

1500$ is the limit.

-Zach

(Northumberland County)

I've had really good luck with Athlon, at several price ranges. If you're looking for a good scope and not set on spending all/near $1500, look at their better lines....Cronus, Ares, Midas.

If you're actually trying to spend $1500, I'd steer towards Nightforce. Full disclosure, I have actually never used one but came very close to purchasing based on excellent reviews across pretty much their whole line.

Sightron as well...their Siii line is well regarded. $600ish is very very possible on a lightly used scope.

Also check out Accurate Shooter (think that was the forum). They had a nice selection of scopes and reviews, some scopes lightly used or even new...many more than you'd ever see on PAFOA classifieds.

(Northumberland County)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    I've had really good luck with Athlon, at several price ranges. If you're looking for a good scope and not set on spending all/near $1500, look at their better lines....Cronus, Ares, Midas.

If you're actually trying to spend $1500, I'd steer towards Nightforce. Full disclosure, I have actually never used one but came very close to purchasing based on excellent reviews across pretty much their whole line.

Sightron as well...their Siii line is well regarded. $600ish is very very possible on a lightly used scope.

Also check out Accurate Shooter (think that was the forum). They had a nice selection of scopes and reviews, some scopes lightly used or even new...many more than you'd ever see on PAFOA classifieds.
    I'm actually looking to spend a bit. And the longer i go without finding what I want, the more the budget increases (as i save up).

I'm waiting for something to go on sale for a price too good to turn down.

Also thinking I'd actually prefer second focal plane.

I had the pleasure of looking through a night force scope last year. It wasn't my rifle. And the scope was way busier than I'd prefer, but the glass was really clear. This was even more impressive considering it was at night.

For now, I'm trying to avoid second hand. Way too much counterfeit stuff out there. Maybe I'm too paranoid and cautious, but it has served me well.

The hardest thing to find is the 40-44mm objective with all of the features i want.

Best scope option I've seen so far is the Trijicon credo. Not perfect. But not bad at all.

-Zach

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Both of those are a little busier than I'd prefer. I'm just not sure what to do with all of that extra stuff at the bottom.

I did see this from vortex:
    https://ar15discounts.com/products/v...-hs-t-4-16x44/

I wish it was illuminated. But otherwise it looks kind of what i want. Looks to be a mid tier scope.

I'd like to get the best scope i can for my money. I'd hope that by spending more, I'll get more in terms of quality of glass, eye relief, etc.

-Zach
    Bummer! I have a 6-24 HS-T NIB that I was looking to sell soon, but its MOA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast