Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LTCF and car carry AR pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I've been around guns since I was 8 and have been a FFL since 1987 and you woud be surprised how many "gun owners" really don't know that much about firearms and I believe that I can just about guarentee that if you laid an AR syle SBR and a braced AR pistol side by side and had a gun owner look at them from a distance of 3 feet with no prompting they would say they are basically the same. I have gun ownwers that are knowlwdgeble and I have known them for a number of years come in the shop and when I show them a AR made from a 80% lower and ask them to tell me what they see, they never (at first look at all sides, front, back, etc.) never mention that it has no markings on it. Then I ask them to look closer and look for something out of place. Many still don't catch the no markings.

(Montgomery County)

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches.

You can carry an SBR or AR pistol loaded in a vehicle as long as it meets the above definition.

Quote Originally Posted by My Username View Post
    Lol that was good.

I guess I’m a criminal and belong in jail then according to them

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45Doll View Post
    Which is why I carry a copy of the completed PICS Record Of Sale with me (stamped "COPY") that shows the serial number and the fact that its a handgun. It clearly shows that it's a 'pistol or revolver with a barrel length of less than 15 inches'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Problem becomes if you built it yourself out of a receiver set. Then the record of sale states *other*...
    Problem becomes if you built it yourself out of an 80% lower. Then there is (probably) no record of sale.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Personally, if I were in my truck with one of my AR pistols, it would be either under the seat or covered with something that doesn't make it look like I'm obviously trying to hide something.
    Good reason right there to keep the back seat area of my extended cab loaded with all kinds of crap, none of which looks to have any intrinsic value.

(Erie County)

Or not have a 'Pistol Brace' on the AR Pistol, if that is a possibility of concern.

It's not a stretch to think that 'Brace' will get shouldered, if the AR Pistol is shot. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

The discussion is whether the cop would know that it's legal, but that's irrelevant. Even knowing you're innocent, the cop can still cite you, the DA can prosecute, and the judge and media pronounce you guilty. Just depends on where you're at.

(Delaware County)

My PA license states "Pennsylvania license to carry firearms" - as in more than one and and doesn't specify "pistol". To the best of my knowledge that has been printed on there for more than 20 years now. I know this because back in the early 2000's, I called the PA US Attorney's office and talked to one of the lawyers there and asked if carrying a rifle qualifies and with some hesitation he replied 'yes'. Personally, the only reason I see to carry an AR pistol or rifle would be if I was living in a situation like Seattle. And if I may add one more comment ... most people (that includes law enforcement officers) aren't able to make the distinction between an arm brace and butt stock. I would certainly look at anyone carrying an AR pistol or long gun on their person with a heighten state of awareness because I can't read your mind to know what your intentions are.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolFan View Post
    My PA license states "Pennsylvania license to carry firearms" - as in more than one and and doesn't specify "pistol". To the best of my knowledge that has been printed on there for more than 20 years now.
    I believe that the LTCF was created around 1936. However, as I understand it, the LTCF does not allow you to transport a loaded rifle in a vehicle but it does allow you to transport a loaded handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolFan View Post
    My PA license states "Pennsylvania license to carry firearms" - as in more than one and and doesn't specify "pistol". To the best of my knowledge that has been printed on there for more than 20 years now. I know this because back in the early 2000's, I called the PA US Attorney's office and talked to one of the lawyers there and asked if carrying a rifle qualifies and with some hesitation he replied 'yes'. Personally, the only reason I see to carry an AR pistol or rifle would be if I was living in a situation like Seattle. And if I may add one more comment ... most people (that includes law enforcement officers) aren't able to make the distinction between an arm brace and butt stock. I would certainly look at anyone carrying an AR pistol or long gun on their person with a heighten state of awareness because I can't read your mind to know what your intentions are.
    There is law though that specifically states carrying a loaded long gun in a vehicle is a no no...

Its dumb...a firearm is a firearm, regardless if its pistol or long gun. But now that there are pistols based on what is traditionally considered a long gun receiver, using pistol calibers (aka AR pistols), things get murky. And thats why i asked about it here. Curiousity for the sake of clarity if I ever decide to pack an AR pistol as a car gun alongside my EDC pistol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast