Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PickingPA Guest

Default Re: LTCF and car carry AR pistols

It is 100% legal to carry a loaded AR pistol in your vehicle with a valid PA LTCF

That doesn’t mean that the random cop that pulls you over knows the difference. Generally speaking, most cops do not have full knowledge of the the ridiculous nuances of PA firearms law.

As a gun owner, it’s YOUR responsibility to know & follow the law. And sometimes even that isn’t enough to keep you out of cuffs.

(Delaware County)

Under Chapter 61 Title 18 where they talk about licensing... it then refers you to PA's definition (in section 6102) of a "firearm" that can be concealed as follows:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

If I read it correctly, it sounds like a SBR rifle with a barrel < 15 inches is OK to carry and that a rifle with a 16" or longer barrel is not by definition a "firearm" in PA. LOL

I guess this is where you need a lawyer to jump in here and muddle through the convoluted legal double talk.

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    It is 100% legal to carry a loaded AR pistol in your vehicle with a valid PA LTCF

That doesn’t mean that the random cop that pulls you over knows the difference. Generally speaking, most cops do not have full knowledge of the the ridiculous nuances of PA firearms law.

As a gun owner, it’s YOUR responsibility to know & follow the law. And sometimes even that isn’t enough to keep you out of cuffs.
    Something something custom fiberglass door panels with hidden storage for an AR pistol in my future

Outta sight, outta mind right?

As a gun owner, it*s YOUR responsibility to know & follow the law.
    One would think that it would be incumbent on those who are charged with enforcing the law to know the law.

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by My Username View Post
    One would think that it would be incumbent on those who are charged with enforcing the law to know the law.
    You’d think, but you’d be wrong

Talk gun laws with a cop sometime, outside of an official interaction. If you know one who won’t get defensive about NOT knowing the law.

Many have only pulled a trigger during initial qualification and required dept range training. With COVID, budget constraints and ammo shortage....guess what? Range training is slashed.

Unless they were big 2A guys PRIOR to being a cop, it’s rather unlikely that they have acquired a higher understanding of PA gun laws through police training, vs the average 2A guy on this board

You’d think, but you’d be wrong

Talk gun laws with a cop sometime, outside of an official interaction. If you know one who won’t get defensive about NOT knowing the law.

Many have only pulled a trigger during initial qualification and required dept range training. With COVID, budget constraints and ammo shortage....guess what? Range training is slashed.

Unless they were big 2A guys PRIOR to being a cop, it’s rather unlikely that they have acquired a higher understanding of PA gun laws through police training, vs the average 2A guy on this board
    B-b-b-ut ignorance of the law is no excuse for not following the laws...at least thats what the courts tell civilians...

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    B-b-b-ut ignorance of the law is no excuse for not following the laws...at least thats what the courts tell civilians...
    NFA laws are so much further in the weeds that only ATF agents really KNOW the fine lines. Yet every owner of an NFA item knows the details of storage/possession/transfer/transport. Average cop? Yeah, not really

You*d think, but you*d be wrong

Talk gun laws with a cop sometime, outside of an official interaction. If you know one who won*t get defensive about NOT knowing the law.
    Oh, I've had those conversations. I've been told "it's not my job to know the law" and "that's why you go to court."

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by My Username View Post
    Oh, I've had those conversations. I've been told "it's not my job to know the law" and "that's why you go to court."
    And that’s where it will get hashed out. Keep Phil’s (Gunlawyer) and Josh Prince’s contact info handy

And that’s where it will get hashed out. Keep Phil’s (Gunlawyer) and Josh Prince’s contact info handy
    Josh’s card is in my wallet, phil’s email is in my address book. And another pro 2a criminal defense attorney is in my phone contacts as well :thumbup:

Its kinda sad that we’ve come to this point, where the ones charged with keeping the peace by knowing and enforcing the laws dont have a clue...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast