Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: ATF proposed rule to change Definition of “Frame or Receiver”

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Anybody else becoming frustrated with inputting different combinations into regulations.gov ?

https://www.regulations.gov/search?a...0frames%202021 just brings back info on bumpstocks.

2021R-05 doesn't bring back much either. OR maybe I'm just computer dumb.
    It isn't just you. I know this is intentionally confusing. What is the magic combination of words to search to get a useful hit?

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    It isn't just you. I know this is intentionally confusing. What is the magic combination of words to search to get a useful hit?

-Zach
    Last time I checked it just wasn't posted for comments yet. That was a couple days ago though.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    The part related to adding serial numbers only applies to FFLs. Regular people who make their own firearms for personal use (now so-called "PMFs") still won't have to add a serial number.

It doesn't concisely state that an AR upper assembly is now a serialized part, but the implication is in there if you read the whole document.

They admit that up to 90% of firearms don't have a firearm receiver or frame according to the current definition of a firearm frame or receiver in the text of the current (unconstitutional) law that Congress actually passed, and thus... cAn'T bE ReGuLaTeD! Oh Noes!!!! The horror! /sarc

So in order to be able to tread on everyone's rights with a new air of "legitimacy", the ATF (an unconstitutional element of the Executive Branch) is attempting to, in essence, create new law to redefine a firearm frame or receiver in a way that explicitly contradicts the (also unconstitutional) statute passed by Congress, by their own admission.

"Next, the new definition more broadly describes a *frame or receiver* as one that
    provides housing or a structure designed to hold or integrate any fire control component.
    Unlike the prior definitions of *frame or receiver* that were rigidly tied to three specific
    fire control components (i.e., those necessary for the firearm to initiate or complete the
    firing sequence), the new regulatory definition is intended to be general enough to
    encompass changes in technology and parts terminology. With respect to
    the fire control components housed by the frame or receiver, the definition would include, at a minimum,
    any housing or holding structure for a hammer, bolt, bolt carrier, breechblock, cylinder,
    trigger mechanism, firing pin, striker, or slide rails.
    However, the definition is not
    limited to those particular fire control components.
    "

This definition almost certainly includes uppers, lowers, bolt carrier group, (possibly buffer tubes?), trigger packs, handgun slides, (and more). All will be treated the same as complete firearms requiring FFL transfers, background checks, serialization, etc.

This is not just about how parts are packaged together for sale or shipment. They are redefining (by adding new ambiguity and subjectivity) what makes a kit "readily convert[ible] to expel a projectile". Some prior discussion has suggested this may mean anything requiring less than 8 hours of work by an expert gun manufacturer in a fully-equipped machine shop.

Homemade firearms won't be illegal, but you'll damn near have to mine the ore and coal and smelt the steel yourself since N-percent firearms will be a thing of the past. Even if they did come up with a new value for "N", now you'll have to make N-percent of every part that's considered a "receiver" (uppers, lowers, bolt carrier group, (possibly buffer tubes?), trigger packs, and handgun slides, etc.)

"Finally, the definition would make clear to persons who may acquire or possess a
    part now defined as a *frame or receiver* that is identified with a serial number that they
    must presume, absent an official determination by ATF or other reliable evidence to the
    contrary, that the part is a firearm *frame or receiver* without further guidance."

This would destroy a huge segment of the gun industry by killing off much of the home-assembly market and will slow some of the new gun-owner adoption. Many of the recent new gun owners I know started by building their first AR since they could do it one piece at a time as a project. This just increases the cost and complexity needed for someone to start exercising a fundamental human right.

Also note, the new record-keeping requirements for FFLs will mean that they will be required to keep all Form 4473s FOREVER, (until they go out of business), rather than the 20 years that they must keep them today, after which they can (and should) be destroyed. This is not good.

J. Record Retention
    "This rule also proposes to amend 27 CFR 478.129 to remove language stating that
    FFL dealers and collectors need only keep A&D Records and ATF Forms 4473 for up to
    20 years following the date of sale or disposition of the firearm. The proposed changes
    would require Federal firearms licensees to retain all records until business or licensed
    activity is discontinued,
    either on paper or in an electronic format approved by the
    Director,75 at the business or collection premises readily accessible for inspection. There
    would also be an amendment to 27 CFR 478.50(a) to allow all licensees, including
    manufacturers and importers, to store paper records and forms with no open disposition
    entries and with no dispositions recorded within 20 years at a separate warehouse, which
    would be considered part of the business premises for this purpose and subject to
    inspection.

In view of advancements in electronic scanning and storage technology, and
    ATF*s acceptance of electronic recordkeeping, these amendments would reverse a 1985
    rulemaking allowing non-manufacturer/importer Federal firearms licensees to destroy
    their records after 20 years.
    The durability and longevity of firearms means that they
    are often in circulation for more than 20 years, while the cost of storing firearm
    transaction records has decreased dramatically through electronic recordkeeping. The
    proposed amendments would enhance public safety by ensuring that records of active
    licensees will be available for tracing purposes
    ."

Hey dumbasses, you aren't supposed to have a permanent record of who owns what constitutionally-protected private property!

Keep in mind when writing comments, please be careful not to "solve their problems" for them by pointing out how the proposed rules could be made more consistent. Voice your firm opposition in a professional way and explain how it will negatively impact you, your family, your business, etc. and violate your human rights.

ALL gun control is an infringment.
    Very well written and said. This guy knows what's going on.

I'll further add that anyone who says "Well if this is just about 80% kits coming with all the parts, then I don't care" or "I don't care, because it won't affect me" do not realize the goal is chipping away at the 2A until you don't have a way to have a well regulated militia, and until you don't have anything formidable to defend yourself left. It's baby steps that don't affect everyone, then the rules that affect more people. And no government that has ever disarmed citizens has done so for a positive reason.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Come and mark them...bring an army. Lol

If i read that correctly, they also are requiring a license to manufacture/assemble/mark your own property? Gtfo atf
    My sentiments exactly! You wanna come take what I have?? And use YOUR WEAPONS against me if I say no?? Then you are my enemy, and I’ll use my weapons against you!
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    My sentiments exactly! You wanna come take what I have?? And use YOUR WEAPONS against me if I say no??
    They are willing to kill you, your family, and your dog but they won't take action against BLM or Antifa.

Quote Originally Posted by My Username View Post
    They are willing to kill you, your family, and your dog but they won't take action against BLM or Antifa.
    If thats the worst they can do, by all means go ahead. Made my peace with God/the devil/flying spaghetti monster long ago. If im dead what do I care? I get to go home at least

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Thanks for the update. Comment submitted

I'm couldn't come up with anything profound.

I did object to the ATF trying to redefine a receiver which I'm guessing is defined by legislative statute? I also objected to the ATF trying to redefine an unfinished frame/receiver as "readily convertible" when such an act requires machinery and a power source to complete therefore it is anything but "readily convertible".
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Montgomery County)

Finally available. Tell everyone you know to submit a comment. Also another round of brace proposals is coming too so keep your comment cannons at the ready.

The paid trolls are posting, don*t think your comments don*t matter.

* Ghost guns must be regulated. The shadowy world of illegal firearms is dangerous to everyone, in a country where at least 100 people die each day from gun violence. Please, do the right thing and implement this rule to regulate these lethal weapons.*

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast