Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default ATF proposed rule to change Definition of “Frame or Receiver”

Got this email today... summary:

On May 7, 2021, the Attorney General signed ATF proposed rule 2021R-05, Definition of “Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms. The goal of the proposed rule is to ensure the proper marking, recordkeeping, and traceability of all firearms manufactured, imported, acquired and disposed by federal firearms licensees.
    This proposed rule would among others, provide new or amend previous definitions of terms related to or about “firearm frame or receivers” and “frame or receivers.” For more details on these definitions, please visit our website at: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...me-or-receiver.
    Among some of the more interesting parts is the part where they define Privately Manufactured Firearm... If you refuse to mark, you have to submit to have your property destroyed even though up to this point it was legal.

Under the proposed rule, a “privately made firearm” (PMF) is a firearm, including a frame or receiver, assembled or otherwise produced by a person other than a licensed manufacturer, and without a serial number or other identifying markings placed by a licensed manufacturer at the time the firearm was produced. The term does not include an NFA registered firearm, or one made before October 22, 1968 (unless remanufactured after that date).

Licensees must:

Properly mark each PMF acquired before the effective date of the rule within 60 days after the rule becomes final, or before the date of disposition (including to a personal collection), whichever is sooner.

Properly mark previously acquired PMFs themselves or may arrange to have another licensee mark the firearm on their behalf. PMFs currently in inventory that a licensee chooses not to mark may also be destroyed or voluntarily turned-in to law enforcement within the 60-day period.

Once the rule becomes final, and unless already marked by another licensee, properly mark each PMF within seven days following the date of receipt or other acquisition (including from a personal collection), or before the date of disposition (including to a personal collection), whichever is sooner.

Mark PMFs acquired after the rule becomes effective themselves or under their direct supervision by another licensee with the supervising licensee’s information.

Mark PMFs with the same serial number on each frame or receiver of a weapon that begins with the FFL’s abbreviated license number (first three and last five digits) as a prefix followed by a hyphen on any “privately made firearm” (as defined) that the licensee acquired (e.g., “12345678-[number]”).

Record PMFs in their acquisition and disposition records, whether or not kept overnight, and update their acquisition entries with information marked on PMFs.
    SUBMIT COMMENTS:

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...submit-comment
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ATF proposed rule to change Definition of “Frame or Receiver”

I like this one too:

The proposed rule explains that when a partially complete frame or receiver parts kit has reached a stage in manufacture where it may readily be completed, assembled, converted, or restored to a functional state, it is a *frame or receiver* that must be marked.
    But it doesn't define "may readily be completed"...
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

PickingPA Guest

It depends on what the definition of the word is is

Come and mark them...bring an army. Lol

If i read that correctly, they also are requiring a license to manufacture/assemble/mark your own property? Gtfo atf

It uses the word "licensee," so perhaps this only applies to FFLs?

Sorry for the crude language.

Do they honestly believe that I am that fucking stupid that a serial number is going to do anything to solve a crime? Fuck them. that's my comment.

(Chester County)

Part of the rules applies to silencers too...the rule says *firearms mufflers*. I have never heard that one before

(Centre County)

Based on my read, it looks like cap and ball stuff, flintlocks, and all sorts of things are now "firearms" ... including things like those traditions replica small cannons.

Correct me if I'm missing something...
    If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Aviation is not for you...

(Bucks County)

It sounds to me like this is just for FFL's and they need to add a serial number to sell a "ghost "gun. THEY need to put a serial number on it.

I didn't think FFLs would touch selling a home made firearm.

Is it time yet?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast