Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: ATF proposed rule to change Definition of “Frame or Receiver”

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    Am I crazy I cannot seem to get to the actual comment page for this.
    As of yesterday it wasn't actually posted yet. It should be up in the next few days.

(Chester County)

Would one of our wordsmiths kindly create a copy-pastable comment for when they do put up the comment section? I may find it hard to keep civil trying to explain to those idiots how I feel.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    Would one of our wordsmiths kindly create a copy-pastable comment for when they do put up the comment section? I may find it hard to keep civil trying to explain to those idiots how I feel.
    clear and concise statements that are fact based in opposition are probably the best, I hate that we have ti be on our "best behavior" but if we aren't then we are to the media crazy gun people. Never works well in our favor.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    clear and concise statements that are fact based in opposition are probably the best, I hate that we have ti be on our "best behavior" but if we aren't then we are to the media crazy gun people. Never works well in our favor.
    What bothers me is that our side continues to act as if we're invisible. We're 100 MILLION plus people...why are we being treated like dirt? Why in the living f*** are we tolerating being abused while minority groups with 1/10th to 1/100th our size act like they own the place? Of course we shouldn't burn buildings or harm people, but damn can't we at least assert ourselves as being doctors, lawyers, accountants, business owners, investors, etc. who the people "in charge" know personally? It cannot be a fact that we are so distant from whoever "they" are that we are so easily dismissed as inconsequential.

We need to get out of the closet and stop being pushed around. Stop accepting being the butt of jokes and smears by Hollywood and journalists and the political crowd. We need to stop allowing them to act like they're some kind of superior variety of person, that the person they're trying to degrade and impose on is their brother, their uncle, their cousin, their schoolmates, their accountant, their banker, their son's or daughter's teacher, the guy whose restaurant they're sitting in, etc. Correct them to their faces. It has worked for groups that are a fraction of a percent of the population.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    NO do not do that. There is potentially an algorithm that filters and deletes duplicate comments.

Write your own, keep it brief and clearly state your opposition to the 2021R-05 proposal. Doesn't need to single handedly convince them - just needs to be another opposition 'vote' in this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    NO do not do that. There is potentially an algorithm that filters and deletes duplicate comments.

Write your own, keep it brief and clearly state your opposition to the 2021R-05 proposal. Doesn't need to single handedly convince them - just needs to be another opposition 'vote' in this nonsense.
    Correct, but it would be nice to have a bulleted list of points that can be made in ones own words.

(Tioga County)

When the comments open, inform yourself, write your own comment and submit it.

(Centre County)

Folks, a couple things to note:

- Model airplane guys got a few changes made to recent FAA rule. The comment count? 50K or so. That said, the FAA still got what they wanted (remote identification of drones), but some changes were made in HOW they got it. We are not going to get them to drop this rule. Hate to say it, but it's clear they're going to get it in some form. So we need to work on the "HOW" thing .. just like the model plane guys did.

- Commenter that noted they us algorithms to "discount" copy/paste comments is true. FAA posted a ppt a while back describing how they hired an outside firm to analyze. I can't see ATF going to someone that's a neutral arbitrator.

- ATF specifically said they will ignore profanity etc. That probably won't mean just ignore that sentence, probably through out the whole submission.

What this means is we have to be polite, business-like, cogent ... AND have hundreds of thousands of comments ... if we want to have any hope. I'm still going through it, but it seems to me that the definition of "firearm" is exceptionally broad. Anything that uses explosive to propel object? That includes every potato cannon ever made, not to mention heretofore not regulated black powder stuff.

The "submission" and they'll decide part? Seems to be a black hole. How about recommend specific timelines (hint .. that they likely won't be able to meet), where no response within X days results in automatic determination of "non-firearm." Also may things like admin requirements for them to provide, upon request, paper trail to submitter complete with date of receipt, name/office of receiving it, and record of every step along the way (promotes accountability).

Note that the rule is specifically vague on what current private owners MUST do. One could argue that it talks a lot about licensees, but given legal consequences of getting it wrong, suggest adding specific section that defines current owner of an object, and EXACTLY what they need to do in order to remain legal. Again, I'm still reading through it, but my impression is that you can probably have one not marked up until you take it to a gunsmith / sale for anything ... Seems they're using that as the "net" to trigger the changes they want (i.e. marking).

Recommendation: one page, polite, free of insults, factual, and clearly say "I oppose the rule as written" in the opening sentence. Bonus point for offering specific recommendations to fix individual parts.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
    If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Aviation is not for you...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post

- Model airplane guys got a few changes made to recent FAA rule. The comment count? 50K or so. That said, the FAA still got what they wanted (remote identification of drones), but some changes were made in HOW they got it. We are not going to get them to drop this rule. Hate to say it, but it's clear they're going to get it in some form. So we need to work on the "HOW" thing .. just like the model plane guys did.

- Commenter that noted they us algorithms to "discount" copy/paste comments is true. FAA posted a ppt a while back describing how they hired an outside firm to analyze. I can't see ATF going to someone that's a neutral arbitrator.

- ATF specifically said they will ignore profanity etc. That probably won't mean just ignore that sentence, probably through out the whole submission.

What this means is we have to be polite, business-like, cogent ... AND have hundreds of thousands of comments ... if we want to have any hope. I'm still going through it, but it seems to me that the definition of "firearm" is exceptionally broad. Anything that uses explosive to propel object? That includes every potato cannon ever made, not to mention heretofore not regulated black powder stuff.

The "submission" and they'll decide part? Seems to be a black hole. How about recommend specific timelines (hint .. that they likely won't be able to meet), where no response within X days results in automatic determination of "non-firearm." Also may things like admin requirements for them to provide, upon request, paper trail to submitter complete with date of receipt, name/office of receiving it, and record of every step along the way (promotes accountability).

Note that the rule is specifically vague on what current private owners MUST do. One could argue that it talks a lot about licensees, but given legal consequences of getting it wrong, suggest adding specific section that defines current owner of an object, and EXACTLY what they need to do in order to remain legal. Again, I'm still reading through it, but my impression is that you can probably have one not marked up until you take it to a gunsmith / sale for anything ... Seems they're using that as the "net" to trigger the changes they want (i.e. marking).

Recommendation: one page, polite, free of insults, factual, and clearly say "I oppose the rule as written" in the opening sentence. Bonus point for offering specific recommendations to fix individual parts.

Agree with all of the above. But I want to be optimistic and say the rule CAN be abandoned if enough people comment.... 10 million informed comments would likely throw the whole thing out.

Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post

Can we add a "PS: Please don't shoot my dog"

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast