Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Low, and to the left.

Just installed a set of Warren Tactical fiber optic sights on the M&P. The sights are clean, and crisp and when I shot it the first time I got the tightest group I've had with my pistol.

But not at point of aim. At a distance of about 15' it was hitting about an 1" low and about 2" to the left. The old sights were dead nuts.

I know they're centered to the slide because I used a dial caliper. I took it home and made a fine pencil mark and drifted the front sight a little bit. The gun is now hitting closer to center but still low. If I move it any more it will be clearly off center. I don't think it's my shooting because it was dead on before the sight swap, and I'm shooting really tight, consistent groups.

What now? I like the sights, but I like my guns to hit what they're aiming at. They're fixed sights so I think I'm fucked on the elevation anyway, but what should I do?

Default Re: Low, and to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Just installed a set of Warren Tactical fiber optic sights on the M&P. The sights are clean, and crisp and when I shot it the first time I got the tightest group I've had with my pistol.

But not at point of aim. At a distance of about 15' it was hitting about an 1" low and about 2" to the left. The old sights were dead nuts.

I know they're centered to the slide because I used a dial caliper. I took it home and made a fine pencil mark and drifted the front sight a little bit. The gun is now hitting closer to center but still low. If I move it any more it will be clearly off center. I don't think it's my shooting because it was dead on before the sight swap, and I'm shooting really tight, consistent groups.

What now? I like the sights, but I like my guns to hit what they're aiming at. They're fixed sights so I think I'm fucked on the elevation anyway, but what should I do?

An inch is marginal at 15ft, or five yards. What happens at 25 yards? Just curious.
    Jules

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    An inch is marginal at 15ft, or five yards. What happens at 25 yards? Just curious.
    Jules
    About 2" low and 2 1/2" to the left.

Funny, I stepped back to about 50 yards and was consistantly hitting an empty 9mm box.

Just dropped some cash on these sights, and expected them to hit POA as advertised. I don't really want to get new ones and end up with the same problem. I'm thinking about thinning out the front blade on the stock sights and putting them back on. Or at least the front. The stock front blade is .160 high and the new one is .165 since they're matched I thought it woud be cool. It's not alot of difference.

I know it is not EXACTLY how you want it, but you have to outweigh their value as night sights VS. defensive hit accuaracy. I think you are fine in that regard. Bullseye may be a different story.
    Jules

(Lawrence County)

Don't worry about them being centered. Move them until you achieve the correct windage.

The extra height of the new sight is causing you to shoot just a bit low up close. You can use the dot as the bullet impact point or you can file teh front sight and reblack it.

Lycanwhateveryouwantthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Don't worry about them being centered. Move them until you achieve the correct windage.

The extra height of the new sight is causing you to shoot just a bit low up close. You can use the dot as the bullet impact point or you can file teh front sight and reblack it.

Lycanwhateveryouwantthrope
    Cool. If I file it can only be a little bit as the rod is very close to the top of the sight.

I'll drift them a bit more tonight and shoot it again tomorrow.

Thanks

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Cool. If I file it can only be a little bit as the rod is very close to the top of the sight.

I'll drift them a bit more tonight and shoot it again tomorrow.

Thanks
    .005 is NOT much.

Lycanonestrokeatatimethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

When I read the title to the thread and saw who the OP was. I thought there was a "How's it hangin" joke in here somewhere for sure.

(Chester County)

I thought they offered 2 different height FS's as the Glock's can do this from time to time.

If you're hitting dead-nuts on at 50 feet.... me-thinks it's a user thing.

Then again, most people shoot my Warrens a little low, I hit em dead-nuts on (and about 1" high at 25 yards.)

ball and dummy group off the bench?

synjustathoughtergy

(Allegheny County)

A sheet of paper is typically about .003 to .004.