Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Question about car carry

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I know the OP asked about handgun, and I may be completely mis-remembering, but isn't there a whole other set of rules/criteria about long arms in vehicles?
    Rifles can not be loaded and ammo needs to be kept in a separate container. Pouches on the outside of the case qualify as a separate container.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Rifles can not be loaded and ammo needs to be kept in a separate container. Pouches on the outside of the case qualify as a separate container.
    Thx.
    DGAF

(Perry County)

Also be aware there are regs for those driving bigger trucks that require a CDL. Commercial drivers have regs that may negate your LTCF while driving in that capacity.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Also be aware there are regs for those driving bigger trucks that require a CDL. Commercial drivers have regs that may negate your LTCF while driving in that capacity.
    I suspected this but do you have more info on it?

(Lycoming County)

Citation?

I'm not aware of anything federally that pertains to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    This is specifically why I have an AR pistol as a truck gun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Citation?

I used to think it was in the ICC regs back when the ICC was a thing.

(Perry County)

Citation?

And there you go...don't believe cops regarding the law because they may have believed a trucker regarding the law.

I had one tell me that federal rules regarding operation of commercial vehicles prohibited them from carrying. I just took it as correct given that was his field of expertise. I see, with 5 seconds of research that he was incorrect or at least it's outdated information.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Citation?

Nothing in the FMCSA regulations but most companies have rules against it and the possibility of having it found while in NYC/ NJ/ CT/ MA is too great and you can bet the boss will bail out his truck but not you...

(Lycoming County)

And there you go...don't believe cops regarding the law because they may have believed a trucker regarding the law.

I had one tell me that federal rules regarding operation of commercial vehicles prohibited them from carrying. I just took it as correct given that was his field of expertise. I see, with 5 seconds of research that he was incorrect or at least it's outdated information.
    Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Nothing in the FMCSA regulations but most companies have rules against it and the possibility of having it found while in NYC/ NJ/ CT/ MA is too great and you can bet the boss will bail out his truck but not you...
    I only did that because I've had other truck drivers that have said this before to me and I delved pretty deep into looking into it, just in case. You have to follow all the state laws, just like anyone else. It's a pretty persistent myth in my line of work though.

Yes, most companies have policies pertaining to weapons in the truck (mine does). Legally all they can do is fire you. That's a risk you have to take unless you're an owner/operator. You hit on the real problem though, NY/NJ especially. If you are hauling on the east coast, it's impossible to avoid those states. Claiming fopa gets sticky too, even if you're not staying overnight in them, since they will be listed as your destination and you have to be legal both in your starting/ending destination to claim that as a defense. Same goes for California on the west coast. National reciprocity or constitutional carry is really the only solution and I wouldn't hold my breath for the former. The latter is unfortunately never going to happen nationally as far as I see.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast