Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bills and Important Papers

If you were hit by a car and unconscious for a while, or otherwise disabled or unable to perform your usual duties paying the bills and taking care of this kind of thing (assuming that you are the one who does it) - would your significant other be able to do it in your absence?

• Do they even know what the bills are and when they are do?
    • Do they have access to the accounts?
    • Do they have access to whatever bank accounts or methods you use to pay bills?
    • Do they know where your important papers are, and how to access them?
    • Do they have access to your computer, phone or other devices you have important shit on?
    • Do they have access to on-line non-financial sites where you may have things like photos and whatever?
    • Are there any instructions (actions to take, people to contact, etc.) they should be aware of?
    • Do you have any of this documented anywhere?

Not here. My wife would be fucked, in many respects. This is something I am working on rectifying. I'll also have a whole section of info for actual death itself - what to do, actions to take, etc. etc.

I plan to put all of the relevant information on a thumb drive, along with the key to the safe room and the document box and seal it up in an "emergency use only" envelop and place it in a secure location known to her, in case she needs it for one reason or another. It's going to be a lot of work. I hope to have something reasonably complete by the end of the year. Once it's complete, I will make keeping it updated part of my end-of-year financial activities routine.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Bills and Important Papers

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    If you were hit by a car and unconscious for a while, or otherwise disabled or unable to perform your usual duties paying the bills and taking care of this kind of thing (assuming that you are the one who does it) - would your significant other be able to do it in your absence?

• Do they have access to whatever bank accounts or methods you use to pay bills?
    • Do they have access to your computer, phone or other devices you have important shit on?
    • Do they have access to on-line non-financial sites where you may have things like photos and whatever?
    • Are there any instructions (actions to take, people to contact, etc.) they should be aware of?

Not here. My wife would be fucked, in many respects. This is something I am working on rectifying. I'll also have a whole section of info for actual death itself - what to do, actions to take, etc. etc.

I plan to put all of the relevant information on a thumb drive, along with the key to the safe room and the document box and seal it up in an "emergency use only" envelop and place it in a secure location known to her, in case she needs it for one reason or another. It's going to be a lot of work. I hope to have something reasonably complete by the end of the year. Once it's complete, I will make keeping it updated part of my end-of-year financial activities routine.
    Great timing, the answer for the most part is no to the above. We are just finishing updating our Wills. I need to get the above points addressed, too. Thanks

(Elk County)

Wife pays all the bills, is a retired accountant. Sometimes I pay the bills just for the practice, and to give her a break.

She has access to all that shit in the OP, including forums such as this, with PWs.

In the process of getting the will, living wills, and revocable / irrevocable trusts updated.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

Better Late than never ! I have grey packet folders of will,DNR,Bills when do,all Insurance coverages in event of early death such as Car loans with Ins,Propertys and the all important Life Ins . You dont need to start of with much just enough to cover burial expenses,We have our cemetery plots paid for the Funeral director has been paid in full with a huge discout early paid .Any term ins can cover you for awhile I did the whole life route many years ago when I got screwed by Bernie Madoff .

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    just enough to cover burial expenses,We have our cemetery plots paid for the Funeral director has been paid in full with a huge discout early paid
    My wife has been instructed not to spend any money on my death. Just not claim my body and let the state pay to dump it in a ditch somewhere or whatever they do with unclaimed bodies. As it turns out,

"In Pennsylvania, the only law for handling unclaimed dead was written in 1883; it declares a body legally unclaimed after 36 hours, which allows it to be donated to science." That's how you save money on "final expenses".

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/unclaimed/why/

Also of interest - "Honorably discharged U.S. military members and spouses are eligible for free burial in a veterans' cemetery." So she could save money by going that route I guess.

But death planning wasn't the real intent of the OP - it was more "accident planning".

My wife can handle everything. All our important papers are located in a set alone fire box, most importantly our wills. She is fully competent to decide when to pull my plug and me hers.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

YES ! To all the questions put forth !Not just accidents but strokes can be included even with a death .Instructions,Wills,DNR,Insurance policys are all neatly enclosed into a manila folder !Only started getting my house in order at 65 years old .

(Bucks County)

Wife does all that now. She gets incapacitated =me screwed royally!

Something else to think about: suppose you both are taken out of the game at the same time(car crash, plane, disease, lots of things can happen). Does a trusted lawyer, or friend, family member have knowledge of what to do, where to find *the package*?

(Allegheny County)

My dog can't read let alone do math

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Something else to think about: suppose you both are taken out of the game at the same time(car crash, plane, disease, lots of things can happen). Does a trusted lawyer, or friend, family member have knowledge of what to do, where to find *the package*?
    This is what I am working on now - getting a trust set up and info distributed as needed. I'll be squared away within 6 months I hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast