Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harford County MARYLANDSATN, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    457273

    Default Did PA change its law?

    I received my letter about my LTCF expiring in PA. On the letter it stated to " remember, firearm are not permitted in the Sheriffs office".

    It was my understanding that they provide lockers to put them in while you go into the secure areas?

    Any info?

    NOBODY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,968
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOBODY View Post
    I received my letter about my LTCF expiring in PA. On the letter it stated to " remember, firearm are not permitted in the Sheriffs office".

    It was my understanding that they provide lockers to put them in while you go into the secure areas?

    Any info?

    NOBODY
    Correct - no guns in the office, must be checked at the courthouse door. Not sure why they say it that way...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,766
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Most offices try to discourage you from bringing them. Yes you can store them in lockers (by telling security BEFORE trying to go through )

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    29,490
    Rep Power
    21474880

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    I wouldn't even know where to go to have a gun secured when I go get my LTCF - the office is "at the county jail" - is the courthouse a part of that? I have no idea, to be honest.

    Are all sheriff's offices located in a courthouse?

    I thought that courthouses were the only places that provide lock boxes.
    PAFOA GROUP SHOOT! June 19 near Pittsburgh - ALL WELCOME! (info)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    6,556
    Rep Power
    21474853

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to go to have a gun secured when I go get my LTCF - the office is "at the county jail" - is the courthouse a part of that? I have no idea, to be honest.

    Are all sheriff's offices located in a courthouse?

    I thought that courthouses were the only places that provide lock boxes.
    Usually the Sheriff's Office is located in the courthouse. Deputies are responsible for moving prisoners from jail to the courtroom, and courthouse security, to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    11,619
    Rep Power
    21474862

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to go to have a gun secured when I go get my LTCF - the office is "at the county jail" - is the courthouse a part of that? I have no idea, to be honest.

    Are all sheriff's offices located in a courthouse?

    I thought that courthouses were the only places that provide lock boxes.
    Storage is required "at or within the building containing a court facility" and requires that "Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).", which says "posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility". Statute also provides that a conviction can't be obtained for the offense if the facility is not posted as required.

    18 PA 913(f) defines "court facility" as:
    The courtroom of a court of record; *a courtroom of a community court; *the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; *a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; *a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; *a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; *judge's chambers; *witness rooms; *jury deliberation rooms; *attorney conference rooms; *prisoner holding cells; *offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; *and any adjoining corridors.
    Full text of the applicable statute:
    https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-1...ct-18-913.html
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    29,490
    Rep Power
    21474880

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    I guess you would need to walk around the block or something to get to the court facility.
    The sheriff's office isn't much larger than my dining room. You access it via a courtyard without needing to go into the main "county jail" building.
    There's no storage there.

    I do recall being asked if I had my carry gun on me when I went a few months back.
    I didn't (LTCF was expired), so I answered "no".
    PAFOA GROUP SHOOT! June 19 near Pittsburgh - ALL WELCOME! (info)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    11,619
    Rep Power
    21474862

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I guess you would need to walk around the block or something to get to the court facility.
    The sheriff's office isn't much larger than my dining room. You access it via a courtyard without needing to go into the main "county jail" building.
    There's no storage there.

    I do recall being asked if I had my carry gun on me when I went a few months back.
    I didn't (LTCF was expired), so I answered "no".
    The sheriff's office is itself a "court facility." If you have to go through a courtyard, and then directly into the Sheriff's office, the law requires that notice be posted at that entrance.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    29,490
    Rep Power
    21474880

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The sheriff's office is itself a "court facility." If you have to go through a courtyard, and then directly into the Sheriff's office, the law requires that notice be posted at that entrance.
    What notice?
    PAFOA GROUP SHOOT! June 19 near Pittsburgh - ALL WELCOME! (info)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    private
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    11925645

    Default Re: Did PA change its law?

    Just got mine today (wife also) in Lackawanna county. Left our S&W J frames in the car lock box. They asked if we needed to lock up weapons. In and out in 10 minutes. Made a comment about one deputy's tats (Come and take them).Easy peasy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DID PSP change the app?
    By mrjam2jab in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
  2. change name
    By pandemic in forum Support & Suggestions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 25th, 2012, 11:23 PM
  3. Change.Org
    By MrBi11 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •