Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Dillon 650 upgrades

After using this machine for several thousand rounds, I noticed there were certain actions which caused cases to rotate with the turret not as smoothly as it could, causing grains of powder to spill sometimes as the turret would abruptly index on it's detent stop. This problem seemed to effect fuller-filled rifle cases the most.

I started looking at some upgrade kits sold on eBay. This guy out of Alaska was selling a kit called the Grand Slam with several improvements in regards to friction and overall ease of setup. It consists of a rubber detent ball, lighter detent spring, and a bronze top center shellplate bearing. Supposedly to smooth out shellplate turret movement. There is also a roller bearing piece that drives the indexing cam (instead of a rounded piece of metal) Making for a very very smooth turret movement. Can't wait to try it out.
    The Grand Slam kit also came with a primer feed shutoff block. It allows you to shut the primer disc advancing mechanism off. Definitely a nice feature to be able to shut that off. For those not familiar, primers are indexed from the primer magazine tube into a disc holding say 10 primers at a time, then from the disc they are indexed into the machine. This disc primer feed assembly was dropped on the new 750, which feeds 1 primer at a time from primer magazine into the machine like the SDB system. Also a case feeder mechanism shut off with a friction reducing roller bearing for the case pusher mechanism rod was included in the kit. This entire setup feels like it reduced the friction about 25%.

Setting up a fresh toolhead for 45 Colt required me to refer back to the manual, as I haven't done a fresh setup in a few years. After adjusting the "upgrades" to get everything indexing properly I got the sizer/decapper set, and the powder die set for bell. I'll finish the seat and crimp die setups tomorrow night. Then work on the powder setting.

Default Re: Dillon 650 upgrades

Subscribed

I cant remember what exactly I did to mine to prevent that. I'm thinking I loosened the screw
    at the top of the plate, and maybe cut a coil or two off the spring underneath.

(Lackawanna County)

I have most of that stuff. Next on my list are the casefeeder crud catcher and primer catch upgrades

(Westmoreland County)

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Washington County)

I did all those same upgrades and I am pleased with the results. The primer shut off is easily the best one.

(Allegheny County)

Sticky plate rotation is usually due to one or both of these:
    1. Powder made it's way under the plate.
    2. Plate screw to tight.

The most common reason why powder gets under the plate is due to a new primer not being pressed into place in the previous station.

I also put a little gun grease on the plates detent ball.

Any reloading press needs routine maintenance. Every 3-6 month's my Dillon gets a complete once over, cleaning, and adjustments.
    Toujours prêt

(Monroe County)

I loaded up 100 45 colts Sunday. 220gr. Steel Valley Casting bullets over 7gr HP38, 1.65" COL. Win. L.P. primers.
    Have to do a little tweaking to the indexer bearing piece. My sizing die wasn't aligning with every pull. Also cases were moving after they were dropped from case feeder. They would walk one way or another and jam on case drop hole. Boogered up 3 cases due to that. Otherwise, I'm happy with the upgrades. Primer shutoff is so simple and is very useful. Going to shoot some next week.