Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Non-Resident CCW

I do have a License to Carry (LTC) permit from Texas.

I am planning to move to the state of Pennsylvania for a permanent stay towards the mid of this year. As I read, I have to wait 90+ days for residence in the state of Pennsylvania before I apply for a CCW.

I was thinking if I have a non-resident CCW in the state of Pennsylvania, I will be more legally protected until I apply for my residence CCW in PA.

Thank you for the response.!

I will be in the Montgomery County area. I heard the Sherif Office is very friendly and accommodative

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WUCV View Post

I am planning to move to the state of Pennsylvania for a permanent stay towards the mid of this year. As I read, I have to wait 90+ days for residence in the state of Pennsylvania before I apply for a CCW.

I was thinking if I have a non-resident CCW in the state of Pennsylvania, I will be more legally protected until I apply for my residence CCW in PA.
    Thank you for the response.!

I will be in the Montgomery County area. I heard the Sherif Office is very friendly and accommodative
    1) I hadn't heard that about MONTCO's Sheriff but maybe I heard wrong. And 2) you don't need to wait for anything but your driver's license to say 'PA' on it to get your LTCF. I don't know where you got that 90 days+ thing.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    And 2) you don't need to wait for anything but your driver's license to say 'PA' on it to get your LTCF. I don't know where you got that 90 days+ thing.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Agree, there is no wait time. As soon as you can show that you are a resident, you can apply for a LTCF.

Also, be aware, that while PA honors a TX CCW, once you are a PA resident, it's no good here. Residents must rely on a PA license only, so get the application and fill it out, sans DL number, and get the new DL ASAP so you can get the LTCF application submitted.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

That in bold is not true. You have 15 days to change your drivers license to a PA DL once making residency. Then you need to change vehicle registration and insurance. Then you have 10-15 days to get your vehicle inspected.

Once you have your PA DL - you can get your PA LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

OK. But actually, that is not the case. Your reciprocity covers you, as long as a non-resident LTCF would. You get no extra benefit from a non-resident permit. It is invalid as soon as you get your DL, as is your reciprocity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12