The below sob story from much younger (he may be 30), ex-coworker, living in NJ applying for FOID.
I know PA does not require FOID cards; but thought process would be valid for applying for LTCF or simply buying first gun.

So this ex-coworker and I used to work at same NJ company.
After years of hearing my pro 2A stories. He finally decided he wants to get his first gun; a shotgun.
But even for a buying a shotgun; in NJ you still have to apply with your local PD for a FOID to be allowed to purchase a shotgun.

He applied 7 months ago. And just recently learned why it's taking so long.
Apparently several years ago (in his early 20's), he owned a house, and had his then fiance live with him.
His then fiance cheated on him. He then had her move out. BUt she left behind some clothing. So one day he foolishly threw it out a window.
He was charged with damaging property and domestic abuse. Note: she was NOT there when he threw clothing out the window.
He goes to court, judge says these charges are ridiculous.
Judge lowers the charges from a felony of domestic abuse down to a misdemeanor of town ordinance of disorderly conduct.

So when he applied for the FOID. He said "No" to the question about being a convicted felon.
BUT when the police run the background check on him. They see him being arrested for felony of domestic abuse.
And now the local detectives are requiring him to be interviewed by them.
He got a NJ gun law lawyer. This lawyer says this police department is trying to make him a felon by answering that question with "NO".
Now he has to spend thousands to have lawyer beside him while the detectives interview him AND eventually get the arrest and misdemeanor expunged.

So three morals of this story.

First; do not sleep with crazy, dishonest women.

Second; do not be a nitwit and throw other people's belongings out your window.

Third; before you apply for LTCF or go buy your first gun. GET A BACKGROUND CHECK RUN ON YOURSELF AND/OR SPEAK WITH A LAWYER !
There may be something in your background you forgot. Or there may even be something to not related to you but accidentally put on your record.