Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: 🚓 Move Over Law in effect Tuesday in Pennsylvania 🚒

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Re "people aren't familiar with what they're supposed to do."... I agree, and since the penalties for a 'school' violation can be painful 'discretion' is understandable. But IME cops aren't, apparently, that familiar with the letter of the law either.
    I've been stopped twice for 'schoolbus' violations.

One time it was exactly a bus stopped on the other side of a divided highway.

The other time it was not a divided road, but the school bus passed me, still moving, with yellow flashers not red. I'd have literally had to slam my brakes to the point of invoking ABS and STILL would have been past the bus when I stopped. That one really pissed me off since I suspect the cop knew full-well it was bunk. He ended up ticketing me for an unsigned registration, with a full lecture about how he was "taking it easy" on me since the school bus violation was an 'automatic suspension'. He'd been behind me for about 3-4 miles at that point... it's why nowadays if there's a cop behind me I just turn in to the next parking lot and let him go on his merry way.

The maddening part is as a father who until recently had school-age kids I'm consciously rigorous about school buses and school zones. I drive by 2 schools on my daily commute. I'm that guy ACTUALLY going 15 in the active school zone (with three cars tailgating me.)
    That's considered suspicious.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

I was almost a victim of the Move Over Law today.

During rush hour, ie all lanes full, I was driving along I-78 west in the Right lane, near the RT-222 entrance ramp.
    That entrance ramp is long, almost a lane in it's self, and beside a sound wall.

Well there was one of those State Farm Safety Patrol trucks helping a disabled vehicle on the small shoulder between the entrance ramp and sound wall.
    A woman in a SUV was on that entrance ramp and improperly merging onto I-78.
    She came down the entrance ramp, matched my speed, and drove along beside me for much of the ramp.
    I had vehicles in front of me, behind me, and to the left of me.
    So I tapped my horn the get her attention. She remained totally clueless of her surroundings.

At the last second, she saw the State Farm (with it's flashing lights), and began to swerve towards me.
    I then blasted my horn. THAT finally got her attention.
    She got so close to my passenger side before braking and swerving back into the entrance ramp; that our side mirrors overlapped !
    If her mirror had been in front of mine; she would have taken off my mirror when she braked.
    --ET

(Berks County)

On my two recent trips to southern TN I came to the realization that the move over law is more dangerous than not and it should be rescinded immediately. I wonder if they'll share statistics on how many accidents it causes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    On my two recent trips to southern TN I came to the realization that the move over law is more dangerous than not and it should be rescinded immediately. I wonder if they'll share statistics on how many accidents it causes.
    And that is EXACTLY why the National Motorists Organization was actively against the law.
    But no one paid attention to them.
    --ET

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12