Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Exclamation 🚓 Move Over Law in effect Tuesday in Pennsylvania 🚒

🚑 PENNSYLVANIA, USA — Pennsylvania's new Move Over Law goes into effect Tuesday morning and will mean stricter penalties for those in violation. 🚎

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/...0-d50e0add68c7

Default Re: 🚓 Move Over Law in effect Tuesday in Pennsylvania 🚒

Understandable and the right thing to do. What jerks my chain is, when a emergency vehicle is coming
    in the opposite lane, everybody damn near jumps the curb, why

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Understandable and the right thing to do. What jerks my chain is, when a emergency vehicle is coming
    Because you're required to, in case they need to come down the center of the road to get around traffic.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Because you're required to, in case they need to come down the center of the road to get around traffic.
    I understand that, I'm talking about when there are no other vehicles in the lane.
    I see it happen daily when the emergency vehicle is the only vehicle in that lane,
    and there are no side streets to turn on. And then we get the assholes that stop
    when a school bus stops in the opposite lane on a divided highway.

(Bucks County)

So cop can now sit on the side of a 4 lane road and pull every car that stays in that lane (without significantly slowing down)? Sounds like some easy $500-2000 tickets.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I understand that, I'm talking about when there are no other vehicles in the lane.
    I see it happen daily when the emergency vehicle is the only vehicle in that lane,
    and there are no side streets to turn on. And then we get the assholes that stop
    when a school bus stops in the opposite lane on a divided highway.
    I look around and if there's no reason for me to clear the road for an ambulance, I don't and I haven't been nabbed yet. The school bus thing I can almost understand. That school bus on the other side of a divided highway is so rarely encountered that people aren't familiar with what they're supposed to do.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

That moving over / slowing down is the sensible & correct thing to do doesn't stop me disliking yet-more nanny-state.

I've had plenty of times I passed a stopped emergency vehicle in the adjacent lane, because I had no safe way to get over. Did I slow down? Yes. Was it to 20 under the limit? No clue... probably not. It seems to me that trying to jam on the brakes and find the hazard switch at the same time is probably more distraction/more dangerous than just slowing down reasonably.

Sure, 95% of the time the cops will recognize compliance with the 'spirit of' the law and leave it be. But the 5% of the time some jackhole cop decides to 'make an example' is 6% too often.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    So cop can now sit on the side of a 4 lane road and pull every car that stays in that lane (without significantly slowing down)? Sounds like some easy $500-2000 tickets.
    No, just the first one.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I look around and if there's no reason for me to clear the road for an ambulance, I don't and I haven't been nabbed yet. The school bus thing I can almost understand. That school bus on the other side of a divided highway is so rarely encountered that people aren't familiar with what they're supposed to do.
    Re "people aren't familiar with what they're supposed to do."... I agree, and since the penalties for a 'school' violation can be painful 'discretion' is understandable. But IME cops aren't, apparently, that familiar with the letter of the law either.
    I've been stopped twice for 'schoolbus' violations.

One time it was exactly a bus stopped on the other side of a divided highway.

The other time it was not a divided road, but the school bus passed me, still moving, with yellow flashers not red. I'd have literally had to slam my brakes to the point of invoking ABS and STILL would have been past the bus when I stopped. That one really pissed me off since I suspect the cop knew full-well it was bunk. He ended up ticketing me for an unsigned registration, with a full lecture about how he was "taking it easy" on me since the school bus violation was an 'automatic suspension'. He'd been behind me for about 3-4 miles at that point... it's why nowadays if there's a cop behind me I just turn in to the next parking lot and let him go on his merry way.

The maddening part is as a father who until recently had school-age kids I'm consciously rigorous about school buses and school zones. I drive by 2 schools on my daily commute. I'm that guy ACTUALLY going 15 in the active school zone (with three cars tailgating me.)
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Does this law only apply in the Pocono Mountain Region?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast