Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rifle from gun broker, transfer to Non-PA resident via FFL

Hello,

I plan to buy a Rifle on Gun broker from a non-FFL licenser and/or private seller who resides in a different state then Pennsylvania and have it shipped to an FFL in Pennsylvania; so far from what I have read I can do that.

Is it possible, however, as a non-resident of Pennsylvania to then proceed with picking up the rifle I bought from gunbroker from a FFL dealer in Pennsylvania and fill out all paperwork?

Briefly, I do not reside in Pennsylvania, but was born here, and I'm here assisting some of my family members as I do college online. My current license and residence is Arizona.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Rifle from gun broker, transfer to Non-PA resident via FFL

A non-PA resident from any state may purchase a long gun from a PA FFL by simply completing the 4473 and the FFL performing a PICS background check for an out-of-state buyer with photo ID, preferably a DL.

Surprisingly, some FFLs still believe that the buyer must be from a state contiguous with PA (OH, WV, MD, DE, NJ, NY), but that law changed in 1985-86 to permit any out-of-stater to purchase a long gun from an FFL dealer in any state (subject to state and local laws that may be to the contrary).

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Monroe County)

^ what he said.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Your in Phoenix, want to buy from another state and want to ship a rifle to Pa. to buy? Who’s picking up the rifle in Pa.? OK. If I were you, I*d check with the FFL you want to ship to. Some FFLs in my area won*t deal with New Yorkers or Jersey.

(Washington County)

Go into the FFL in person and talk through it so they are on board and it should work out.

:Update:

Thanks for the replies everyone. To update,

I called a nearby FFL here in Pennsylvania near my family members area. According to the person I spoke to I apparently need a PA License if I want to pick the gun up in person. I told him that I would be buying from Gun broker (Rifle) and that the out of state private seller/non-FFL licenser who I am buying from would then ship it to him and I would pick it up as I previously stated above.

I asked why he needed a PA license; he indicated the "PA license is used for (PICS)" and that he thinks he could not use my out of state license, he also asked if I had something with the Military which I replied that I did not. Additionally, he continued by saying that since its a "private transfer and I am out of state that the firearm would have to be processed through an FFL in my state of residence." I see per above courtesy to Noah that it appears a PA FFL can perform "a PICS background check for an out-of-state buyer " is there anything I can do to inform this guy that he can run the PICS background check for an out-of state buyer or did I misspoke / not understanding something here.

(Allegheny County)

Find a different FFL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by invalin View Post
    :According to the person I spoke to I apparently need a PA License if I want to pick the gun up in person. I told him that I would be buying from Gun broker (Rifle) and that the out of state private seller/non-FFL licenser who I am buying from would then ship it to him and I would pick it up as I previously stated above.

I asked why he needed a PA license; he indicated the "PA license is used for (PICS)" and that he thinks he could not use my out of state license, Additionally, he continued by saying that since its a "private transfer and I am out of state that the firearm would have to be processed through an FFL in my state of residence."
    He is confusing this with firearm rules; long arms can be processed outside of your state of residence.

(Washington County)

I really wouldn’t try to arrange this over the phone, as inconvenient as it is to drive around to several FFLs.

(Centre County)

A PA FFL can do a check on a non PA resident buying a long arm in PA. Basically, the PA FFL is doing nothing different than if he would have a rifle in stock and the OP walked in and said he wanted it, just this time it's already paid for other than the transfer fee. The FFL has to log it into/out of his A/D book just like it was his. If the FFL is not sure he can call PICS and an operator or supervisor can explain how to do it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast