Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Supreme Court to hear first major Second Amendment case in a decade

About fucking time! Let's hope they don't fuck us.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin///M View Post
    "Holding my breath.

These days the SCOTUS is about as reliable as an ex spouse
    at the two year mark".
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Washington County)

In an America with a sane Judicial Branch and Legislative Branch, a SCOTUS decision favoring the NY Rifle and Pistol Assoc should have Roe v Wade type implications for gun rights. In other words, it could and should be a monumental game changer. But in reality, many elites on both sides do not want lawful Americans in huge numbers carrying in public. I predict a 6-3 or a 5-4 positive outcome of this case but it will lead to nothing big. Those writing for the majority will make it clear that their decision was made on very narrow grounds, does not make any determination that gun control in general is unconstitutional.. and that will no doubt leave the door open to confiscatory regulations and fees and other hoops that citizens must jump through. New York already has a plan B and a plan C to stifle gun rights in case they lose and their media allies will downplay and dismiss any ideas that the victory was important

Roberts may vote with the majority solely to allow him to craft and write the opinion.... and if he does, God help us as he will use such twisted logic and reasoning that it will allow the losers to claim absolute victory

Just as Heller did not cause the Left to retreat one iota on gun control and bans, this decision if it goes bad for them will only make them more determined to stick a hot poker in our collective behinds via legislation or executive actions.

... and so it begins. This can end in only one of two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin///M View Post

I'm not that negative about the courts. We are not going to get a better supreme court for the 2nd than we have now. (However much we may want it) We can't be living in fear of negative rulings. This is why many voted for trump. Now is the time to find out whether that vote paid off or not.

Could it go against us? Of course. That's not a reason to avoid legit 2nd cases though. I feel better about this than if Hilary had appointed the last 3 justices.

(Carbon County)

SAF HAILS HIGH COURT ACCEPTANCE OF NEW YORK SECOND AMENDMENT CASE

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today is hailing the decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to hear a Second Amendment right-to-carry case challenging New York State’s restrictive gun control law, declaring that a favorable ruling in this case will almost certainly impact challenges to similar laws in other states, which SAF and others are contesting.

The case is known as NY State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett. It is the first time in more than a decade the high court has accepted a Second Amendment case for review since the 2010 case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, which was a SAF case decided in June 2010.

“This case was made possible by the Second Amendment Foundation’s Supreme Court victory in McDonald v. City of Chicago that incorporated the Second Amendment to the states via the 14th Amendment,” noted SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “SAF’s victory in that case built the foundation for this and other lawsuits against states and localities to be heard by the Supreme Court to protect and expand gun rights, and we are proud of that.”

Gottlieb said it is certain the current makeup of the high court has opened this important door. With the addition last year of Associate Justice Amy Coney Barrett to fill the vacancy created by the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the court now has a majority of constitutional jurists who will no longer treat the Second Amendment as “a constitutional orphan,” as once observed by Associate Justice Clarence Thomas.

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to not only keep arms, but to bear them,” Gottlieb observed. “SAF has several right-to-carry cases filed which include challenges to restrictive laws in New Jersey, Maryland and New York City. A favorable ruling in this case will almost certainly impact those and other cases.

“The entire gun rights community has waited for many years for this news,” he added. “A right that exists only in one’s home is not a right at all. We do not limit the right of free speech, or freedom of the press, or the practice of one’s religion, or the right to legal counsel just to someone’s residence. And ultimately, that’s what we’re talking about, constitutionally-protected fundamental rights.”
    https://www.saf.org/saf-hails-high-c...mendment-case/
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Schuylkill County)

I hate that this was already ruled on by SCOTUS over 100 years ago with the original Heller V. D.C..

Considering the cover up Edmund Heller's win that took place, I'm not feeling too good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    In an America with a sane Judicial Branch and Legislative Branch, a SCOTUS decision favoring the NY Rifle and Pistol Assoc should have Roe v Wade type implications for gun rights. In other words, it could and should be a monumental game changer. But in reality, many elites on both sides do not want lawful Americans in huge numbers carrying in public. I predict a 6-3 or a 5-4 positive outcome of this case but it will lead to nothing big. Those writing for the majority will make it clear that their decision was made on very narrow grounds, does not make any determination that gun control in general is unconstitutional.. and that will no doubt leave the door open to confiscatory regulations and fees and other hoops that citizens must jump through. New York already has a plan B and a plan C to stifle gun rights in case they lose and their media allies will downplay and dismiss any ideas that the victory was important

Roberts may vote with the majority solely to allow him to craft and write the opinion.... and if he does, God help us as he will use such twisted logic and reasoning that it will allow the losers to claim absolute victory

Just as Heller did not cause the Left to retreat one iota on gun control and bans, this decision if it goes bad for them will only make them more determined to stick a hot poker in our collective behinds via legislation or executive actions.
    You make some great points and I agree with your predictions. They'll narrowly craft it and probably borrow language from Scalia about the 2A not being absolute and not being able to any gun in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I'm not that negative about the courts. We are not going to get a better supreme court for the 2nd than we have now. (However much we may want it) We can't be living in fear of negative rulings. This is why many voted for trump. Now is the time to find out whether that vote paid off or not.

Could it go against us? Of course. That's not a reason to avoid legit 2nd cases though. I feel better about this than if Hilary had appointed the last 3 justices.
    Yep I made similar points in the parallel Lounge thread. Can't be afraid of them taking 2A cases. We wanted it. We got it.

(Delaware County)

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worse.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast