Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Remington 870 TAC 14 folding pistol brace questions....confused

I have a kit coming for the TAC 14 "firearm" which includes a SBA3 pistol brace and AR style pistol grip as well as the adaptor to attach to the gun. If I ad a folding adaptor is that legal? Do I need to get a tax stamp and register with ATF? I think if its 26 inches or longer folded I should be OK? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Remington 870 TAC 14 folding pistol brace questions....confused

Quote Originally Posted by AngryIrishman View Post
    I have a kit coming for the TAC 14 "firearm" which includes a SBA3 pistol brace and AR style pistol grip as well as the adaptor to attach to the gun. If I ad a folding adaptor is that legal? Do I need to get a tax stamp and register with ATF? I think if its 26 inches or longer folded I should be OK? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
    IANAL

Yes atf regulations *used* to allow measurement of folding brace while extended but recently switched to measuring the weapon folded after, because well- atf

So provided your tac14 measures no less than 26” *folded* you’re still legal

On a side note a “real” shotgun with 18.5” barrel and collapsing stock measures I think ~29 inches so it’s hardly noticeable in comparison and much easier to prevent accidentally breaking the law. While the tac 14 and shockwave are popular because of 14” barrels, the raptor grip setup just cuts length off the barrel (and mag tube…) and adds it on the grip.

(Berks County)

I just got a TAC-14 and have found that other than adding accessories on the gun, braces and the such make the gun an NFA item. The reason the BATF does not know how to classify these firearms, not shotguns, is that they come from the factory with the Raptor grip. Eventually, some politician will realize that they are missing out on a opportunity to collect a tax that will protect the children, and they will become NFA items. Rule of thumb... Be happy with what you have and leave well enough alone

(Lackawanna County)

Name checks out there