Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: C&R "Birthday"

(Franklin County)

Default C&R "Birthday"

Does anyone know if there is scrutiny of the actual DAY of manufacture in regards to C&R status?

Typically serial numbers can be used to trace year of manufacture. If a gun is known to be manufactured in 1973, is it C&R eligible on 1/1/2023, even though it may have been produced at the very end of '73, and really only be 49 years, 1 month old?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Default Re: C&R "Birthday"

I don't think that most big gun makers can give you the "day" it was made, but possibly the month. Ruger for example, can give you the month/year a gun was produced. Or, if someone were to give me a s/n of a Ruger I could estimate by where that serial number fell in a certain year production. They may say 1973, s/n 123-12345 through 123-56789 and you could guesstimate one with 123-34657 (mid range s/n) probably was made in June/July time frame.

I looked over the ATF C&R book and didn't see anything about exact d/m/y but it may be in there. More just "50 years after the date of manufacture" (another gray area they do not expound on).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

The only 100% positive way would be a factory letter. S&W are especially hard as they built and numbered frames , then put them in the warehouse , and then drew them out as needed to build revolvers. Frame ser.no. date , build date and ship date could be months , perhaps a year apart. And they didn't always build/ship in numerical order either. They didn't always draw the oldest stock. I have a 4-screw 14-2 that lettered as shipped 5yrs after the 4th screw was supposedly dropped.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Wayne County)

How long after manufacture does a firearm become a C&R according to the feds? Would a wWinchester model 70 built in 1960 become a C&R?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    How long after manufacture does a firearm become a C&R according to the feds? Would a wWinchester model 70 built in 1960 become a C&R?
    50 years or older for C&R status. A Winchester model 70 built in 1960 would be C&R.

(Wayne County)

If 50 years is the magic number, I have a few relics in my gun safe that still shoot great.