Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear Thread

Default Footwear Thread

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I've been looking to become more self-reliant for a year now as I watch the circus that is government unfold it's plans to control things. My purpose for obtaining self-reliance is three fold: to be prepared for the crap life WILL throw my way, and to resist becoming reliant on the government for everything. That would be a disaster- and I would not be free. I want to be as free as possible. I won't debate that here (freedom, what it is and it's extent) and I digress, sorry.

My sneakers have served me well for three years as I have maintained them, repaired them, changed out soles and shoelaces. They still have ample tread on them- so now I will keep them for gym stuff. But what I really wanted to talk about today are the boots that I acquired. They are an 8" tactical boot made by Maelstrom, but I suppose any similar synthetic/suede boot would apply in this case. So far I have been very happy with them. But I had a couple of questions that I believed some of you might be able to answer.

I have a suede boot cleaning kit which includes what appears to be a white rubber eraser, a nylon bristle brush and some KIWI cleaning agent. Occasionally I will brush the tops of my boots to get any surface dust off, but if I do so do I need to reapply silicone weatherproofing? I have it in a spray. After I got the boots I went through the proper procedure of weatherproofing them, but I don't know how durable the coat is. Thank you for your input, and any footwear tips, talk about boots, shoes, footwear, etc for everyday use, emergencies, field use, etc would be appreciated.

Table of Contents (there's one?!?)
    -Foot Hygeine
    -Clean Socks
    -Common Foot Troubles
    -Immersion Foot (trench foot?)
    -Footwear Modifications
    -Maintenance
    -[FM 21-15] Maintenance Recommendations; US Military.
    -Recommended Boots
    -Carolina 5520 'Bruno Lo Comp Toe'
    -Garmont T8 [USA Made]
    -Thorogood 6" Carpenter Boots [USA Made]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Didnotcomply89; May 10th, 2021 at 01:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Footwear Thread

Having just picked up a pair of Garmont T8s I'd also be interested in an answer for OP.
    F*#K THE ATF

A couple old infantry-types taught me to have several pair of the same uniform/issue boots , or work boots you like , and rotate them every two or three days. I have 3 pair of Carolina 5520 work boots and do just that. I get a new pair every year at work and toss the oldest. I stand on concrete 8-10 hrs a day , so good quality insoles are also a must. I keep a couple pair of these on hand. *

Para-cord makes for excellent boot laces. I have a few different colors and use a different color for each pair of boots. Singe the ends with a flame to keep from fraying , and even put a 1"pc of heat-shrink on the ends.

workinsoles.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    A couple old infantry-types taught me to have several pair of the same uniform/issue boots , or work boots you like , and rotate them every two or three days. I have 3 pair of Carolina 5520 work boots and do just that. I get a new pair every year at work and toss the oldest. I stand on concrete 8-10 hrs a day , so good quality insoles are also a must. I keep a couple pair of these on hand. *

Para-cord makes for excellent boot laces. I have a few different colors and use a different color for each pair of boots. Singe the ends with a flame to keep from fraying , and even put a 1"pc of heat-shrink on the ends.

That's what I do with my daily footwear. I rotate them daily.
    Otherwise; if I wear the same pair of shoes back-to-back each day. I get athlete's foot.
    --ET

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Otherwise; if I wear the same pair of shoes back-to-back each day. I get athlete's foot.
    It's not fun- I can confirm that. Except I get moccasin's foot- so I get it on the bottom of my foot and not in-between the toes. It is a nuisance to get rid of and looks ugly, but it isn't painful. It's taken me about a month to get rid of a bad case on both of my feet. I find treatment is easiest after a shower when the skin is softer.

I plan on keeping the boot insoles intact for now. If my feet feel like bloody murder after a couple of weeks then I know it's time to invest in new soles. One thing that irritates the living crap out of me is when manufacturers glue insoles on the inside of the shoe. I make it a point to try and not buy those types and will rip the insole out if they are glued- in defiance. I was happy to read with these boots that right off the bat the soles are removable. <3

(Allegheny County)

I wear Thorogood 6" leather Carpenter boots for work everyday. Similar to traditional redwings. I put tufftoe on the toes as that's where they wear out first. The last pair I wore everyday for just under 3 years. The only other thing I've put on them is obenauf's which is oil with beeswax in it

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Spray Lysol in your boots.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Spray Lysol in your boots.

Does this have any germ/bacteria/fungi fighting capabilities, besides making the boots smell better? I am genuinely curious.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    Does this have any germ/bacteria/fungi fighting capabilities, besides making the boots smell better? I am genuinely curious.
    My feet sweat in leather, which does not breath. Talc or Johnson*s Baby Powder in your socks will do wonders.

Don*t sprinkle in your boots though... it just piles up and goes nowhere, versus socks that are washed.

Quote Originally Posted by ett
    Quote Originally Posted by abner13
    A couple old infantry-types taught me to have several pair of the same uniform/issue boots , or work boots you like , and rotate them every two or three days.
    [FM 21-15] Care and Use of Individual Clothing and Equipment indicates the following on page 18; Chapter 2:

"A new pair of boots or shoes should fit you properly when new (TM 10-228); you should not expect them to stretch. Because boots and shoes should have a chance to air between wearings, wear one pair one day and another pair the next. Wear the ventilating plastic insoles so that air can circulate underneath your feet.

[FM 21-10] On page 16, Chapter 3, Section 32 indicates the following for caring for your feet:

a.) Foot Hygeine. The feet should be washed daily and dried thoroughly, especially between the toes. Persons whose feet perspire freely should apply foot powder lightly and evenly twice a day.

b.) Properly fitted shoes. In the field only footgear issued by the combat service support units should be worn. Expert fitting at the time of issue is essential. There should be no binding or pressure spots; neither should the footgear be so large that it will permit the foot to slide forward and backward when walking.

c.) Clean, Properly Fitted Socks. Socks should be changed and washed daily. They should be large enough to allow the toes to move freely but not so loose that they wrinkle. Woolen socks should be a tleast one size larger than cotton socks to allow for shrinkage. Socks with holes or poorly darned socks may cause blisters. Different types of socks are provided for various footgear; their proper uses should be learned at the time they are issued.

d.) d. Common Foot Troubles. Blisters, corns, bun ions, ingrown toenails, and fungus infections are the most common causes of foot trouble.(1) Blisters can usually be prevented by wearing properly fitted shoes and socks. Shoes should be broken in slowly and socks should be clean and hole-free. If a blister does develop, it should be treated as prescribed in FM 21-11.(2) Ingrown toenails develop when nails are improperly cut. A person should trim his toenails straight across rather than following the contour of his toes. If tenderness develops in the nailbed or along the edge of the nail, he should report to the medical officer. (3) Athlete's foot (dermatophytosis) is the most common infection of the feet. It can usually be prevented by proper care of the feet (a above) and by taking certain precautions (para 166).

e.) Immersion Foot. Immersion or constant wetness of the feet for a period exceeding 48 hours usually results in immersion foot and disability even though the exposure has been to warm water. In this condition the soles of the feet become wrinkled and white, and standing or walking becomes extremely painful. The feet return to normal in about 24 hours if exposure is terminated. This condition can be prevented by avoiding prolonged immersion of the feet and by drying the feet during rest periods.

(2) On the march. The feet should be kept as dry as possible. If socks become damp from perspiration or wet from weather or surface water, they should be changed for dry ones at the first opportunity. If necessary, socks may be dried by putting them under the shirt around the waist. Tender pressure spots should be relieved promptly by adjusting gear or applying adhesive tape. Once or twice daily during the march, the feet should be dusted lightly with foot powder.

(4) In bivouac. All used socks should be washed thoroughly with soap and water, stretched to facilitate drying, and hung in the sun or in an air current. Woolen socks should be washed in cool water to lessen shrinkage.

and for my amusement, from page 19: "I. Avoid intercourse with prostitutes and promiscious women. They are usually infected with venereal disease. There is no such thing as a "clean" prostitute."
    Last edited by Didnotcomply89; May 10th, 2021 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast