Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Cleaning a 22 without complete disassembly?

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A soak in a cookie tin with a couple inches of Ed's Red made without acetone would do the job just fine.
    What is ed's red made without acetone? And does it come with acetone as well?

-Zach

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    What is ed's red made without acetone? And does it come with acetone as well?
    -Zach
    Homebrew, although sold commercially. Saw it on Brownells site.
    "The "recipe" is based on proven principles and incorporates two polar and two nonpolar ingredients. It is adapted from a formula in Hatcher's Notebook, Frankford Arsenal Cleaner No.18, but substituting equivalent modern materials. I had the help of an organic chemist in doing this and we knew there would be no "surprises" The original Hatcher recipe called for equal parts of acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil, and optionally 200 grams of lanolin added per liter."
    CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner
    1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
    1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
    1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol")
    1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
    (Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)
    https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html

The acetone became optional. My understanding its main use was for shotgun bores to clean wad fouling.
    Ed wrote somewhere it works just as well without it but takes a tad longer for full effect.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Are you referring to lead bullets it jacketed bulk ammo? I've definitely noticed the lead ammo is waxed. I don't think the jacketed ammo is.
    AFAIK the copper colored .22s just have a light plating and not a true jacket. You can easily scratch it off with your fingernail. Pretty sure they are lubed too. The way the wax works is it "fouls" the barrel to a point then reaches a steady state where the bore is seasoned and no more gets on. This is generally where they are the most accurate. Stripping the wax just makes you start over settling in.

Just search "do you need to clean a .22 barrel" and you will find basically two camps. Those that say never and those that say rarely. There are very few that say after everytime I shoot it.

For a non match .22 you will NEVER wear out a barrel. You will do much more damage to the crown trying to clean it too often.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    AFAIK the copper colored .22s just have a light plating and not a true jacket. You can easily scratch it off with your fingernail. Pretty sure they are lubed too. The way the wax works is it "fouls" the barrel to a point then reaches a steady state where the bore is seasoned and no more gets on. This is generally where they are the most accurate. Stripping the wax just makes you start over settling in.

Just search "do you need to clean a .22 barrel" and you will find basically two camps. Those that say never and those that say rarely. There are very few that say after everytime I shoot it.

For a non match .22 you will NEVER wear out a barrel. You will do much more damage to the crown trying to clean it too often.
    I figured there couldn't be much of a jacket for a few reasons. 1, the bullets are very lightweight. 2, copper costs more than lead.

I still need a good system to clean the rest of the gun. The barrel stays attached to the frame. It isn't a target pistol. It is a plinker. The slide moves and the barrel is not attached to it.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

My wife's gun is an SR22 (she doesn't appreciate recoil). I like it, I actually shoot it a lot. I've never disassembled the slide, though. Maybe that why it only runs on CCI (and some other non-bucket packed brands).

In any case, maybe it's time to buy a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner and just fill it with that concoction mentioned above (I would probably just use WD-40 purchased in bulk)?

If you have an ultrasonic, mean green heavily diluted and 15 min then a good wipe down will keep ya from stripping and cleaning.

Im in the keep it clean camp with my rimfires. But i shoot mostly copper plated stuff and very rarely shoot LRN (except in the AR7, since it doesnt feed jacketed stuff well and wont cycle anything but higher pressure ammo).

I will say that when i had my 10/22 and shot standard LRN ammo, it shot better if it wasnt cleaned. Groups were tighter and it fed better once it fouled up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    My wife's gun is an SR22 (she doesn't appreciate recoil). I like it, I actually shoot it a lot. I've never disassembled the slide, though. Maybe that why it only runs on CCI (and some other non-bucket packed brands).

In any case, maybe it's time to buy a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner and just fill it with that concoction mentioned above (I would probably just use WD-40 purchased in bulk)?
    Does it not cycle other ammo? It light primer hits?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    If you have an ultrasonic, mean green heavily diluted and 15 min then a good wipe down will keep ya from stripping and cleaning.

Im in the keep it clean camp with my rimfires. But i shoot mostly copper plated stuff and very rarely shoot LRN (except in the AR7, since it doesnt feed jacketed stuff well and wont cycle anything but higher pressure ammo).

I will say that when i had my 10/22 and shot standard LRN ammo, it shot better if it wasnt cleaned. Groups were tighter and it fed better once it fouled up.
    My sonic cleaner wasn't large enough. I just ordered a larger one with a heater. I was on the fence about getting one a few months ago and this kind of pushed me over the edge.

I so rarely shoot lead round nose. I have a few boxes i bought when 22 was scarce in the Obama years. I usually just put it through my bolt gun.

-Zach

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12