Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Thumbs up A little protection of LTCF holders HB 1228

Be sure to read the memo to understand this.

Regular Session 2021-2022
    House Bill 1228
    Short Title: An Act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in firearms and other dangerous articles, further providing for the Firearms License Validation System.
    Prime Sponsor: Representative METCALFE
    Last Action: Referred to JUDICIARY, April 20, 2021 [House]
    Memo: Reciprocity and Recognition
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...type=B&bn=1228

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: A little protection of LTCF holders HB 1228

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brick again."

Here's the wording of the memo:

In 2016, the Commonwealth of Virginia passed legislation that would prohibit access to permittee information in the Virginia Criminal Information Network by law enforcement personnel, agencies, officers, or other authorized agents of states that do not have reciprocity agreements with the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Under current Pennsylvania law, law enforcement personnel outside the Commonwealth may use the Firearms License Validation System to inquire about a Pennsylvania license to carry and will receive limited information such as the name of the licensee, the validity of the license and any information which may be provided to a criminal justice agency pursuant to Chapter 91 of Title 18.

There have been incidents where states that do not have reciprocity agreements with other states have been misusing their authority when it comes to information available on out-of-state concealed carry permit holders. These states are using the available information to detain individuals for a lengthy period of time during traffic stops.

It is because of these issues that I will be introducing legislation that mirrors the legislation passed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is to ensure our law abiding Pennsylvania citizens are not harassed while traveling.

Please join me in cosponsoring this privacy protection legislation.

If you have any questions please contact Pam Neugard at pneugard@pahousegop.com or 717-783-1707.

Prior Sponsors (HB775 from 2017-18):

METCALFE, SACCONE, PICKETT, METZGAR, KAUFFMAN, TOPPER, READSHAW, McGINNIS, DUNBAR, SANKEY, RYAN, PHILLIPS-HILL, DIAMOND, KEEFER, GROVE, MILLARD, A. HARRIS, RAPP, WARNER, WARD, COX, KORTZ, GABLER, SAYLOR, ZIMMERMAN, GILLEN, BARRAR, ROTHMAN, HEFFLEY, B. MILLER, IRVIN, D. COSTA, HELM, TALLMAN, NESBIT and DUSH
    --ET

(Berks County)

We could also force the state to follow the existing law. It clearly states that it's only allowed to be disclosed for the purpose of validating a LTCF. If you are in a state that doesn't honor PA LTCF, then they are accessing it for other purposes, contrary to law. But hey, I guess rule of law is just an imaginary doctrine.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/10/0...-through-ncic/
    I am not a lawyer

(Juniata County)

A better law would require investigation to every request and require prosecution of every single incidence of a questionable request, with jury trial, no please deals allowed.

As the Constitution of the commonwealth prohibits asking someone why they carry a firearm, the number of LTCF checks should be extremely low.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Didn't some of the anti-gun groups in various cities/counties/states try outing people who held LTCF's by name/address awhile ago?

Every so often , a group of bored busy-bodies ties to demand that info from the chief of police in my town , along with holders of FFLs. He simply says, "NO!"
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Didn't some of the anti-gun groups in various cities/counties/states try outing people who held LTCF's by name/address awhile ago?

Every so often , a group of bored busy-bodies ties to demand that info from the chief of police in my town , along with holders of FFLs. He simply says, "NO!"
    There was a published list of permit holders WITH HOME ADDRESSES in New York a few years ago.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...permit-holders

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...e-after-outcry

Cuomo then signed that you can only opt out of being on the public record list in NY if you are law enforcement or a domestic violence victim. BS.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post

While there have been many occasions of various people trying that.
    The most famous is that NY newspaper; The Journal News; that actually did just that:
    https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-and-addresses
    --ET

(Berks County)

"A better law would require investigation to every request and require prosecution of every single incidence..."

This should be for more than just this topic. Prosecutorial discretion is constantly abused. Charging one person and letting someone else go on the same charge is usually contrary to rule of law because now you have an oligarchy deciding instead of rule of law.

Another example of LTCF being disclosed was when Philly thought it would be good to put holders on a map like they do for sex offenders. They settled a class action for $1200 per person a few years ago. I assume nobody was prosecuted criminally.
    I am not a lawyer