Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR Carry

(Philadelphia County)

Default 22LR Carry

so just because why not...

22LR as EDC; I am starting to look at it more and more, esp in summer-ish weather.

I have been heavily/ exclusively shooting 22LR during this 'shortage' (will not touch anything but) and so far (lucky me) all of my 22LRs have been running flawless...
    My ammo sampling has been a random mix of CCI, Wildcat, Dynapoint, Rem bulk.

So far:
    - LCP2 22lr - 1300 rds with no issues w/ and w/out rapid fire
    - LCR snub - 2000 rds with (9) no-fire primer strikes
    - LCRX 3" - 900 rds no issues w/ and w/out rapid fire
    - P17 - 550 rds no issues, started FTE when dirty, cleaned, another 500 or so rds no issues w/ and w/out rapid fire

I am sure flawed but my thoughts are (a) time to get shots off and (b) "where you can put them" are what matter most.
    I can get alot of 22lr into a fist-sized pattern at 12yds and in, very quickly.
    Size/ weight/ ability to train weekly / biweekly matter to me.
    For EDC, normal conditions** (what does that mean?.. hold on) I think the penetration and performance of a velocitor works.

**normal conditions being non-riot season

Throw some love/ hate at this; I think this round can do it, also a big fan of 22mag (carry 22mag revolver OFTEN) and 32acp.

I do think that once my 856 Concealed Hammer/ Ultra lite 9mm snub conversion is complete, that will most likely be my primary EDC but I am still waiting on the work...

Scored some new Federal 22LR Punch personal defense ammo, which appears to be tailored to short barrel (2inch) but not sure it performs any better really than CCI (only saw 22plinkster test).
    I do like that it is nickel plated for EDC in and out of sweaty or wet pockets over time.

Default Re: 22LR Carry

Yes ,We love our 22s .Scored Winchester 525 bricks,more than I will ever get to shoot . Interested in the P-17 for kicks and giggles !

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I have a phoenix hp22 (yes, one of the few that cyxles well!) for occasional pocket carry, but I usually prefer a .380 in my pocket.

(Montgomery County)

For an experienced / capable shooter that can shoot a 9mm well, I wouldn't recommend it. There's no point. But if it's someone who sucks with a centerfire and can't hit anything or control recoil - sure .22LR is a fine option IMO. Carry what you shoot well..... and if that's only a 22, there's your answer.

That Punch ammo seems interesting. Otherwise I think 40gr solid Mini-mags are the best go-to for sufficient penetration & reliability (though admittedly a hollow point likely won't expand out of a pistol and will perform similarly to the solids).

I do know exactly what you mean with split times though - I can mag dump 22LR into a very tight group much faster than any centerfire gun. It's not something to be ignored as a pro for 22LR carry...

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    For an experienced / capable shooter that can shoot a 9mm well, I wouldn't recommend it. There's no point. But if it's someone who sucks with a centerfire and can't hit anything or control recoil - sure .22LR is a fine option IMO. Carry what you shoot well..... and if that's only a 22, there's your answer.

That Punch ammo seems interesting. Otherwise I think 40gr solid Mini-mags are the best go-to for sufficient penetration & reliability (though admittedly a hollow point likely won't expand out of a pistol and will perform similarly to the solids).

I do know exactly what you mean with split times though - I can mag dump 22LR into a very tight group much faster than any centerfire gun. It's not something to be ignored as a pro for 22LR carry...
    My favorite firearms are the Glock 43X,Glock 19 ,and this newley acquired S&W Compact ,I shoot all extremely well,But getting older I find the S&W is very light on the hips or IWB .Granted my 43X is not bad at all to CC but sometimes I opt for more comfort .

(Allegheny County)

went to the range yesterday with my Walther p22q and mu Ruger lcp22. The Walther ran everything i put through it perfect. The Ruger was perfect with cci minimags but had a lot of failures with every oyher type of ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Foolish

(Adams County)

I just bought a S&W 43C. 10.5 OZ 8 shot J-Frame. It is sweet! I will use it for training as I have a Kimber K6s, S&W 442, and a S&W 340PD on the way.

(Bucks County)

The biggest risk of carrying a .22 in a semi auto is the risk of a split case. A split case usually cannot be extracted from the chamber and must be pushed out with a rod. I shoot LOTS of .22 & I can't count how many times I've had this happen to me at the range. I now carry a rod in my range bag.
    With a revolver you can always bang the ejector on something solid if the cases are stuck.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Butler County)

Any gun is better than no gun.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast