Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR Carry

Default Re: 22LR Carry

Skipped the intervening pages from page 1; the point of an EDC gun is to either deter attackers, or inflict so much immediate trauma that the attack cannot continue.

The .22 is perfect for causing a nasty wound that will possibly become infected in a few days, giving the attacker some annoyance while he spends your money and wonders if anyone will find your corpse.

My understanding is that the .22 was developed as a military cartridge around the time of the Civil War, when wounds weren't treated well and amputation was common. These days, you have a 90% survival rate for all bullets into the torso and parts south, and that includes 9mm and .45.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Any gun is better than no gun.
    So is a pointy stick.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Skipped the intervening pages from page 1; the point of an EDC gun is to either deter attackers, or inflict so much immediate trauma that the attack cannot continue.

The .22 is perfect for causing a nasty wound that will possibly become infected in a few days, giving the attacker some annoyance while he spends your money and wonders if anyone will find your corpse.

My understanding is that the .22 was developed as a military cartridge around the time of the Civil War, when wounds weren't treated well and amputation was common. These days, you have a 90% survival rate for all bullets into the torso and parts south, and that includes 9mm and .45.
    Reagan was shot with a .22. Didn't even know he was shot at first. Almost bled to death in the hospital because they couldn't figure out exactly where he was bleeding internally.

If I'm attacked, I don't have time to wait for hours to see if my attacker MIGHT bleed out.

(Luzerne County)

Carwash: your post caight my eye...Split cases....
    & I can't count how many times I've had this happen to me at the range. I now carry a rod in my range bag.
    With a revolver you can always bang the ejector on something solid if the cases are stuck.
    What ammo are you using? I ask because i have shot over a quarter million 22 cartridges and have never had a split case.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

based on some actual first hand accounts posted here, data published and cited here, and some accounts pm'ed to me from users on here - i would disagree.

the consensus seems to be that the amount of grit the user has (determination and focus) and shot placement seem to be the most important factors - not caliber (pistol specific). the same goes for the attacker - how determined and focused might see them through alot.

reliability matters but quality 22lr, stored properly, used in a reliable platform (revolvers hit rimfire primer with more force and across a wider surface area) seem to address that issue - my own data reported so far is supporting that but i need more data.

i do see and understand why 9mm, 40, 45 is carried more due to a higher probability to create quicker blood loss (larger holes esp w expansion) and higher probability to make contact with CNS (larger diameter, more consistent penetration)...

i get both sides but for someone who can operate under stress and put hits where/ when needed (who's that i dont know) - a 22lr HAS done it and it has been proven.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    based on some actual first hand accounts posted here, data published and cited here, and some accounts pm'ed to me from users on here - i would disagree.

the consensus seems to be that the amount of grit the user has (determination and focus) and shot placement seem to be the most important factors - not caliber (pistol specific). the same goes for the attacker - how determined and focused might see them through alot.

reliability matters but quality 22lr, stored properly, used in a reliable platform (revolvers hit rimfire primer with more force and across a wider surface area) seem to address that issue - my own data reported so far is supporting that but i need more data.

i do see and understand why 9mm, 40, 45 is carried more due to a higher probability to create quicker blood loss (larger holes esp w expansion) and higher probability to make contact with CNS (larger diameter, more consistent penetration)...

i get both sides but for someone who can operate under stress and put hits where/ when needed (who's that i dont know) - a 22lr HAS done it and it has been proven.
    There's a lot of rationalizing going on here.

If I had a Glock or a Sig carry gun that jammed on one shot out of 100, I'd dump it in an instant. Most people feel that way about their carry guns. Are you suggesting that a .22 is 100% as effective as the typical 9/40/45 carry gun, in reliability, stopping power, intimidation, etc.? If not, what percentage do you think is acceptable? It's a bad argument to only say .22 CAN get the job done.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    There's a lot of rationalizing going on here.

If I had a Glock or a Sig carry gun that jammed on one shot out of 100, I'd dump it in an instant. Most people feel that way about their carry guns. Are you suggesting that a .22 is 100% as effective as the typical 9/40/45 carry gun, in reliability, stopping power, intimidation, etc.? If not, what percentage do you think is acceptable? It's a bad argument to only say .22 CAN get the job done.
    no it's summarizing what has been said - not rationalizing.

the ability to "do the job" is literally all that matters; no one is going to scoff any gun pointed at them and i would argue that if they do, you are using it wrong. the failure rate you cite does not apply to the 22 that i have carried; what i am suggesting with respect to stopping power and effectiveness is proven with actual data and first hand accounts presented.

you are falling into that category of responders that "feel" a certain way but can not provide evidence nor data of what you say - which is not useful in any way.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    no it's summarizing what has been said - not rationalizing.

the ability to "do the job" is literally all that matters; no one is going to scoff any gun pointed at them and i would argue that if they do, you are using it wrong. the failure rate you cite does not apply to the 22 that i have carried; what i am suggesting with respect to stopping power and effectiveness is proven with actual data and first hand accounts presented.

you are falling into that category of responders that "feel" a certain way but can not provide evidence nor data of what you say - which is not useful in any way.
    I would like to see any data that shows .22 is as effective as larger calibers. First hand accounts aren't worth much, you can find anecdotes to prove almost anything.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I would like to see any data that shows .22 is as effective as larger calibers. First hand accounts aren't worth much, you can find anecdotes to prove almost anything.
    go back in the thread and look at ellifritz's data

go back in the thread read the news article about the 22lr vs 357mag gunfight where 22lr won due to faster on target/ better shot placement....

not saying always the case, but it has happened and it is cited.

also go back in the thread and read how in the first original post i said my normal carry is a 9mm revolver but for summer months i have - occassionally for low probability encounters - carried 22

Starting to get a 22lr sinus headache,just sayin . Has anyone found the more sought after CCI 22 lr ammo ? I hoarded about 1,800 rounds not including two bricks of winchester 525 . I still shoot but limit 50 rounds at range unless I found some more CCI .

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast