Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR Carry

(Chester County)

Default Re: 22LR Carry

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I have a phoenix hp22 (yes, one of the few that cycles well!) for occasional pocket carry, but I usually prefer a .380 in my pocket.
    This is where I am.

One*s carry piece is all about reliability and your confidence that it will go bang every time. I don*t feel that way about a .22 in semi-auto, even though it will kill you just the same.

(Bucks County)

Are you an old school assassin?

I carry several different .22's when the weather gets extreme. Its better than a knife. Shot placement is far more important than caliber displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Foolish
    Would you let him shoot you with it, square in the chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    Its been awhile.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    Like John Hinckley Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Like John Hinckley Jr?
    Sirhan Sirhan used an Iver Johnson .22 revolver.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Foolish
    yeah? take a 22 to the face then tough guy...

early 90s, philadelphia, frankford section, kid w a grudge pulled a 22lr snub and shot 2 guys, 1 shot each... one hit in the back stumbled 20 or so feet and dropped dead on the bushes of a neighbor's front; the other hit in stomach, immediately out of the fight, dropped and held the wound/ slow bleeding...

ask me how i know.

it's stupid ass comments like this that makes me lose interest in this forum at times, ever consider that the gun/ ammo manuf industry doesnt want you to consider 22lr bc there is no money in it for them?

[enter the 'well why dont soldiers and police carry 22lr' comment]

response... we are civilians postured in a self-defense scenario (not in a war-fighter/ public peace keeper or responder role - recall i said 22lr for 'normal every day conditions') and statistically ccw rate of pulling your weapon is a fraction of 1% and when used 3 shots, 3 seconds, 3 feet ends conflict REGARDLESS of caliber. in fact those same stats actually show 22lr as quite viable - Lucky Gunner has a good series w stats on this...

i dont care if you agree or disagree but please bring something to the discussion for consideration - why? why is it foolish? the age-old rimfire isnt reliable/ concern of robustness of 22lr ammo factors are literally the only reason at this point for me to waver on the issue. but considering actual documented 22lr shooting stats and the fact that i havent personally run into reliability issues as of late has me considering it. one test id like to do and i am doing is looking into whether carrying same, loaded 22lr rounds for weeks on end stays reliable or degrades in pockets when exposed to wear/ tear of EDC.
    Last edited by bugout; April 20th, 2021 at 10:43 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    The biggest risk of carrying a .22 in a semi auto is the risk of a split case. A split case usually cannot be extracted from the chamber and must be pushed out with a rod. I shoot LOTS of .22 & I can't count how many times I've had this happen to me at the range. I now carry a rod in my range bag.
    With a revolver you can always bang the ejector on something solid if the cases are stuck.
    this is very useful, thanks for making me aware; have not had this happen yet

(Allegheny County)

Why not just throw rose petals at an attacker if you aren't really interested in effectively stopping the threat?

EDIT: I see you want "reasons".
    Everyone already knows the reasons - including you, so none will be provided.
    Use whatever you want.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Why not just throw rose petals at an attacker if you aren't really interested in effectively stopping the threat?

EDIT: I see you want "reasons".
    Everyone already knows the reasons - including you, so none will be provided.
    Use whatever you want.
    I was looking for some substantial reasons to back up what you are saying bc the stats do not echo it...
    I think (and stated) that a more viable reason not to carry it is the concern of degradation of the round in a EDC pocket carry scenario vs. demonstrated effectiveness
    Your response, to me, is a typical fud response (ignorant even) to 22LR carry with no stats or first-hand accounts to support it.
    Defensive carry is about "a break in contact" from the aggressor - not killing the threat, if that happens then fine, but it is not the actual goal.

Greg Ellifritz's data from about 1800 actual shootings states:
    - for 22LR, out of 154 number people shot, 60% of them were incapacitated by one head/torso shot (31% not incapacitated)
    - for 380ACP, out of 85 number of people shot, 62% of them were incapacitated by one head/torso shot (16% not incapacitated)
    - for 9mm, out of 456 number of people shot, 47% of them were incapacitated by one head/torso shot (13% not incapacitated)

This is 1 shot... not 2,3,4 rounds; 1 shot.. you land 2 rds, my money says that the 31% not incapacitated jumps up non-linearly with each and every round added.

As I stated any of us can land alot of 22LR in a fist-sized grouping at 20yds and closer, alot more than 380/9mm under stress.

Where's your data or first-hand observations to support your statement?
    Last edited by bugout; April 20th, 2021 at 11:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

You asked. I gave my opinion. You insult me.
    I hope someone takes it off you and shoves it up your ass. Tough guy.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast