Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
go back in the thread and look at ellifritz's data

go back in the thread read the news article about the 22lr vs 357mag gunfight where 22lr won due to faster on target/ better shot placement....

not saying always the case, but it has happened and it is cited.

also go back in the thread and read how in the first original post i said my normal carry is a 9mm revolver but for summer months i have - occassionally for low probability encounters - carried 22
No offense, but the Ellifritz article does NOT advise using .22 for self defense.

First of all, where did that data come from? Why no link to the source and methods? And he notes that the data mixes police and civilian shootings. Police and civilian gunfights are very different, and police don't use .22's.

Second, the data shows that "The .22 required the least number of shots to stop an attacker as compared to the other cartridges." Is there any plausible explanation why .22 would be BETTER at stopping an attack? Or is this just bad data?

Third, if you really trust his data, then think about this: .22 failed to stop the attacker in TWO TO THREE TIMES as many attacks as the larger calibers. That is a stunning failure, isn't it?

If anything, your link is a slam-dunk against .22 for self defense. Failing to stop the attack in 2X to 3X as many cases? Wow. Just wow.