Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Glock 45 vs Springfield XD9

So my EDC has been a Springfield XD9, 4inch, service model for the last 2 years.
    Yesterday we got new duty weapons, Glock 45s.

I have really liked the Springfield. Got it for $300 brand new with one mag. Never had any issues with it. Carries great. Fits my hand almost perfectly.

Only experience with Glocks had been our previous duty weapon, the G21. Still a Glock but a different animal.

Due to Covid and ammo shortage we didn't get a lot of rounds through the G45, just some to get familiar with it and then enough to qual.

So far, I have to say, I really like the G45. Statistically, it's pretty much the same as the XD, although the Glock is 3 ounces lighter and holds one more round.

One big difference is the grip. Although the overall height is virtually identical between the two, the shape/cut of them is fairly different, and the Glock offers more gripping surface. The frame rail/dust cover on the Springfield is more massive, giving you less real-estate between the bottom of the trigger guard and the end of the grip.

I can't find specs on trigger weight, but the Glock feels a bit better.

Can't really compare sights as the Springfield just has the regular three dot but the Glock has Amerigo-those things are awesome.

Pretty soon I'll get them both to the range and put some rounds though them in a Comparison. I don't have a lot of 9mm ammo so it will be brief (and un scientific)

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...xd-full-size-4

Default Re: Glock 45 vs Springfield XD9

So I took both to the range.

I only shot 13 rounds through each as my supply of 9mm is pretty much gone. I have one 50 round box left.

Now first I must give a full disclosure that I have significantly much more experience with the Springfield as I have owned it for years and put hundreds of rounds through it. The Glock 45 was brand new and had exactly 60 rounds through it (all by me) prior to this. So the Glock is still well within a break in period. And I am still getting used to it.

I shot the Springfield better. Now I am not a great shot, as you can see by my targets. But the grouping (if you can even call it that) is better with the XD.
    I put both targets side by side on the target backer out at 7 yards and used the exact same ammo through both guns. Yes, I need much more practice, shots should have been much better with both guns at only 7 yards.

I will say I have since but the bigger grip with beaver tail on the Glock 45 so that may help too.

But one thing I noticed the Springfield has a better trigger when using the trigger reset. The Glock resets a little quicker, but the Springfield is lighter once it resets, and I have been trained to use trigger reset.

Any ways here are the results of my very unscientific test

targets .jpg

1. Dry fire is your friend
    2. Its even more effective with a laserlight chamber insert

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    1. Dry fire is your friend
    2. Its even more effective with a laserlight chamber insert
    I do need more dry fire time for sure. I have been looking at some of the different laser trainers. With the ammo shortage this really is a perfect time to get one

(Lehigh County)

I have a Mantis X3 that works fine for me. You can use it for dry or live fire. It's especially good because my dry and live fire reactions are different, as are most shooters. So in a nutshell it has a couple of sensitive accelerometers and a listening device and it records movements of the gun before, during and after trigger pull and shows them on a graph on your smartphone. It mounts on any hand gun with a rail.
    https://mantisx.com/pages/mantisx-model-comparison
    NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

I sympathize. Glocks have the odd grip angle (unlike just about all of the others out there) and I never took the time to shoot them enough to get better with them. Your target looks perfectly reasonable to me... rock on!
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I shoot Glocks. A lot.
    Before that I shot Sigs. A lot.

It used to take me a few range sessions to.transition from one to another.
    Now, I dry fire both, and I can transition pretty easily.

YMMV

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post

Either gun, still a dead bad guy, innit?

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lehigh County)

I have an early XD9 that had a terrible trigger. I put a Powder River trigger and sear kit in and it dropped the pull down to 4 pounds and made the gun fun to shoot.
    NRA Life Member