Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default 2021 Current favorite AR handguards

I'm thinking of building a new upper.

My current favorite already owned handguard is a Fortis Switch, but they are a bit pricey.

I've looked at some Midwest industries which look nice and more affordable.

Side note: I have 2 ALG handguards which I absolutely HATE(I bought them because they were dirt cheap keymod clearance). I will not use anything ever again that requires shims, or timing and I'm not really into quad rails.

Please throw some of your favorites at me so I can research them. American shit is preferable
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; April 19th, 2021 at 04:01 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 2021 Current favorite AR handguards

The aero atlas line is nice, and the bcm mcmr. Both very low profile with plenty of mlok to add rails where you want it and save weight and bulk where you don't. The atlas s one only has 12 o'clock rails at the muzzle end for irons.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(York County)

Aero Atlas S-One, hands down. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

I've got an older Fortis REV1 Switch with full rails top and bottom, it's very nicely made, but a bit tall for my girly hands.

If you aren't picky on a free floating handguard, anything Magpul makes is decent, I like their SL stuff too.

If you want something different and have money to blow, look at the Unique-AR stuff. They had a Vegas model that I REALLY liked, but I didn't have the $250 to blow!

https://unique-ars.com/handguards/
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

There are TONS of affordable options these days.
    I hear you on the ALG - great handguard - glad someone offered to install mine!

Agree 200% with the above - Aero Precision ATLAS is amazing.

I dunno if Samson still uses the same system, but mine installs using a mil spec barrel nut.

I try to avoid the ones with protruding "lumps" where they have screws to clamp down. Some are "OK" if the edges are rounded off, but some have sharp corners.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I dunno if Samson still uses the same system, but mine installs using a mil spec barrel nut.
    Yes. I have a Samson Evolution because it fits on a stock barrel nut - for use with the quick change barrel setup.

The round -A2 handguard was 100x better than the old triangular ''Vick's cough drop''. but I did go with the Magpul on my full-size rifle and carbine.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Wyoming County)

Thanks everybody! Keep em coming if you think of others, none of the suggestions were even on my radar so I've got some research to do.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(York County)

Check out STNGR. They have several different models. I got a 10" VLCN blem last year. I couldn't find the blemish. U.S. made.

https://www.stngrusa.com/
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

I haven't used it but really want to try this

https://www.luth-ar.com/product/palm...ard-15-vented/

(Allegheny County)

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Is it going to be a range toy, or something you're going run hard and might get dropped/banged around? I just researched a bunch of rails too so I'll share my thoughts. If price is your major factor, just skip my post. There are tons of affordable good quality rails out there nowadays, these are not in that category.

I'll add to the pile for the Aero Atlas line. They're great and at least used to be pretty affordable. From personal experience: only get the Atlas S-One if you are for sure, 100% positive, no way in hell, ever going to want/need extra rail space on top of the barrel. I started researching a new rail because the gun I thought I'd never need the rail space - I need the rail space. Not sure I'd put them on a gun that I intend to beat the shit out of though. Good luck finding one though. They're out of stock everywhere.

If I could have found one I would have went with the Triarc TriLock rail: https://www.triarcsystems.com/produc...ded-mlok-rail/. Supposed to be absolutely bomb proof and the wedgelock will prevent rotation of the rail even if you bang the gun around. Out of stock literally everywhere and I've read production is slow because they also OEM rails for other companies.

I also looked at the Geissele MK16 rail. It has a bit of a bad reputation because of a thread on arfcom where a guy dropped his gun on camera and it knocked the rail out of alignment. I guess on longer barreled guns the barrel can whip when it's dropped and since it's such a low clearance rail when the gas block knocks against the inside of the rail it rotates and/or bends the rail. I would assume this is a problem on most rails on guns with longer barreled guns. I passed on this rail because for the price, I wanted something a little more robust.

Next I looked at the KAC URX 4. Passed on it because there is no barrel nut so you screw the entire rail on. Makes it nice and secure, but I didn't want to have fiddle with pliers to get the gas block installed and aligned after the fact. Seemed like it would be a major PITA.

I then looked at the Daniel Defense rails but everything they had was out of stock. Might be an option for you if you can find one.

Eventually I settled on the SLR Rifleworks HDX rail. It's made of 7075 aluminum instead of 6061 you find with everyone else. It has two cross bolts and a tab that sits over the gas tube to prevent rotation. Most importantly though - it was in stock and ready to ship at TWO places and direct from the manufacturer.
    F*#K THE ATF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast