Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Re: 2021 Current favorite AR handguards

^Thank you KP,

I'm not an operator, nor do I take classes that require me to beat the shit out of my rifle. That being said I don't want to drop the thing and have it break, or bend. I'm actually quite surprised at the info about the Geissele MK16. Those are some robust looking rails, and that barrel nut seems like a beast. I'm going to have to search for that thread on arfcom.

I actually read a review someone left on a YouTube video pretty much claiming the same thing about one of the Midwest Industry guards.

I have noticed to my surprise that most of the rails are 6061. I'll be sure and look at DD & SLR, and like you, I am seeing that a lot of stuff is out of stock which always seems to be the case when I'm looking to build something, even pre panic/pandemic
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Montgomery County)

I still want a Fortis Night series handguard, man they are pretty.

(Beaver County)

I love my Geissele Mk8s. I will also add another nod to the Aero ATLAS rail. As for MI, I*ve only ever used their G2 slim series rails (before the torque plate). I still have two in my inventory from pre Mlok/keymod. If I can get the torque plates for them, I*d still use them, but the one installed definitely has the issues from over tightening without a plate. I like Troy rails, but also only used their quad and non-mlok/keymod versions. While it uses shims, and not sure it*s any sort of bomb proof, the UTG Pro super slim line is pretty awesome and stupid easy to install as well as very affordable. I*ve used several in the past with zero complaints. I*ve heard of some screws breaking during install, but McMaster Carr sells stronger ones according to an ARFCOM thread that I grabbed screen shots from. I*ll probably use keymod variant for an upcoming 7.62x39 upper.

I haven*t used all the rails that are out there by any means. So many brands and interfaces, but I*ve used quite a few. Of course you*re not close to me bc I could let you finger bang the ones I do have or help with assembly. But, seems like most that need help or advice all live on the opposite side of the state. #Ineedmoregunfriends

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    ^Thank you KP,

I'm not an operator, nor do I take classes that require me to beat the shit out of my rifle. That being said I don't want to drop the thing and have it break, or bend. I'm actually quite surprised at the info about the Geissele MK16. Those are some robust looking rails, and that barrel nut seems like a beast. I'm going to have to search for that thread on arfcom..
    I was surprised as well. Had the thing in my cart and decided to look for some reviews first. You might not find it searching as apparently Bill G requested arfcom delete the thread. Here's a reddit post about it with the video in question: https://old.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...scussion_gone/
    F*#K THE ATF

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I still want a Fortis Night series handguard, man they are pretty.
    They are sexy, I will give them that.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I love my Geissele Mk8s. I will also add another nod to the Aero ATLAS rail. As for MI, I*ve only ever used their G2 slim series rails (before the torque plate). I still have two in my inventory from pre Mlok/keymod. If I can get the torque plates for them, I*d still use them, but the one installed definitely has the issues from over tightening without a plate. I like Troy rails, but also only used their quad and non-mlok/keymod versions. While it uses shims, and not sure it*s any sort of bomb proof, the UTG Pro super slim line is pretty awesome and stupid easy to install as well as very affordable. I*ve used several in the past with zero complaints. I*ve heard of some screws breaking during install, but McMaster Carr sells stronger ones according to an ARFCOM thread that I grabbed screen shots from. I*ll probably use keymod variant for an upcoming 7.62x39 upper.

I haven*t used all the rails that are out there by any means. So many brands and interfaces, but I*ve used quite a few. Of course you*re not close to me bc I could let you finger bang the ones I do have or help with assembly. But, seems like most that need help or advice all live on the opposite side of the state. #Ineedmoregunfriends
    LOL Don't we all Thanks for the input
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

No experience with them, but Joe Bob's has Matrix Arms handguards at smoking good prices.
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/M-L...s-s/184815.htm
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

I have the 12.65* Midwest Slim Line on my 16* carbine shown with standard A2 flash hider. I like it. Not to big around or chunky and doesn*t have all the picitany cheese graters.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-slh12.625.htm

38FEB8D4-57BE-4E77-B57A-0FFBF1A9F7BA.jpg

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    ^Thank you KP,
    I have noticed to my surprise that most of the rails are 6061. I'll be sure and look at DD & SLR, and like you, I am seeing that a lot of stuff is out of stock which always seems to be the case when I'm looking to build something, even pre panic/pandemic

At least one person has caught it. This was always a sticking point with me. How can 1 rail cost less than $100 and another cost $250 when they are BOTH made of the same 6061-T6 aluminum? I mean, I understand machining difference, & quality of barrel nut. But for sake of argument let*s say both of those aspects are covered as well. $100 difference? Because of the NAME printed on it?? And of course, the ignorant out there(who actually think they are knowledgeable), give the old *well.... if you want a rifle to depend on, yadda, yadda*. LOL! I love hearing these people talk. Because I present this argument, as I have a metallurgy & compositions study background. So I*ve ALWAYS been able to see past *NAMES*.

In any case, I found a company that goes by ADE. The handguard they have made is the ADE Pro. It*s a Hybrid rail, made in USA and instead of the standard 6061, it*s made from the same crazy strong 7075 Aluminum that the Uppers & Lowers are made from. Anyone who does any machining KNOWS the difference in strength between 6061 7075 Aluminum.

But Sheeple are Sheeple and will continue spending WAY too much on as simple an item as a handguard!
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Allegheny County)

I had never seen a handguard made of 7075 - didn't know they existed.
    I always choose 7075 for buffer tubes. The cost difference is a buck or five - no big deal.

I wouldn't pay $100 extra for a 7075 handguard though. I mean, if I had the money to spend, I would, but for my purposes, I can't justify a huge price difference for a negligible quality increase.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Exactly EM.. I always make sure the buffer tube is 7075, and also the end plate & castle nut.

But yes, can find very few handguards of it. I*ve seen several of your ARs. And like me, you build SMART!

As for the Giessele rail, this is common with any 15* lightweight rail. The rails are so long, they need to make the material walls super thin, to keep weight down. And if you know about 6061, it is pretty soft stuff. Reason I won*t buy scope rings made of it! It is strong when the bulk of material is there, but start thinning it out & this happens. A lot more to parts design than a NAME & a flashy logo.
    Last edited by DavidH; April 21st, 2021 at 06:56 AM.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast