Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Got some NEW Federal 22LR Personal Defense Punch Ammo...

Looks interesting; managed to get on their website and grab 500rds for a decent price before they sold out...

Federal Premium 22LR Pesonal Defense Punch Flat Nose Ammo,
    29-grain nickel-plated lead-core bullet
    specifically made for snubs/ short barrel pistols
    It says 1070 FPS Muzzle Velocity - "velocity achieved through 2inch barrel"
    website says 1,650 fps out of 24-inch rifle barrels
    Nickel-plated case for ease of extraction and corrosion resistance

Liking all the nickel plating for extended carry/ age over time

Pretty excited to see someone doing something new with 22lr....

would love some high velocity 22ELR stuff in my revolver~!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Got some NEW Federal 22LR Personal Defense Punch Ammo...

Not sure about this one. I did a quick search and i don't see what it can do that a CCI stinger or CCI mini-mag can't do. And its $10 a box!

For me the main issue with rimfires is not the corrosion resistance......Its the reliability of the rimfire primers.

(Philadelphia County)

i dont disagree just grabbed some because... $10/box is the going rate for shitty 22lr right now so im ok for 500rds of this; there is a some low life selling it for $40/box on GB...

i see this ammo as potentially carry worthy bc like 22mag ammo it would appear (need to confirm) that more attention/ effort is put in the process bc it is a boutique round vs bulk.

that said, i have put all sorts of crap 22lr through my lcp2 22lr and p17 and both are flawless over 1k rds each... guess i got lucky w those; similar results w my LCRX 3" 22lr revolver.

i dont have an issue carrying any of the 3 in the warmer months... the p32 is hard to pass over though too, little more punch and centerfire... but not as easy to practice with due to ammo availability (hording my 32acp)

(Northumberland County)

I first hi as you can see I'm new here. I don't know what they would do out of a 2 in barrel. But I allways liked cci volectors. They don't expand on a squirrel but they tend to mushroom nicely when hitting something heavier.

Steve

(Bucks County)

So what is supposed to make the federal punch ammo special is that its velocity is rated out of a short barrel.

Most high velocity .22 ammo is still rated out of a 16-22". barrel. I don't have a box of the punch to say what the test barrel size is. But i think it is 3".

I'll buy some if I happen into it. I'm not going out of my way.

I shoot bulk .22 99.99999% of the time. I'm still working through some Obama era ammo.

-Zach

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    So what is supposed to make the federal punch ammo special is that its velocity is rated out of a short barrel.

Most high velocity .22 ammo is still rated out of a 16-22". barrel. I don't have a box of the punch to say what the test barrel size is. But i think it is 3".

I'll buy some if I happen into it. I'm not going out of my way.

I shoot bulk .22 99.99999% of the time. I'm still working through some Obama era ammo.

-Zach
    the box says 2inch barrel on it

i grabbed it out of curiosity and knowing it would sell out

not sure why 29gr vs 40gr, i know it pumps up velocity... well m*v^2 - so guessing they tweaked mass vs velocity and through testing found 29gr yielded optimum energy....

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post

not sure why 29gr vs 40gr, i know it pumps up velocity . . .
    Nailed it, IMO. All things being equal, decrease bullet weight and the velocity increases. I kinda view this ammo akin to 125g vs 158g in 357 ammo - reduced mass, but the 1/2 mv^2 makes up for it as you point out.

I have a carton and a half, ~700+ rounds of Super X 22LR that was my late father's from the 1940s or early 50s, and the cases are nickel plated. We had many more cartons, and as we fired it in bolt action and semi auto rifles as well as revolvers, there was never an extraction problem.

I'm betting that 29g bullet is nickel plated to help the impressed rifling stay intact instead of stripping off the bullet due to the high velocity. The bullets in Stingers and Velocitors are plated for the same reason.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    the box says 2inch barrel on it

i grabbed it out of curiosity and knowing it would sell out

not sure why 29gr vs 40gr, i know it pumps up velocity... well m*v^2 - so guessing they tweaked mass vs velocity and through testing found 29gr yielded optimum energy....
    Yep. I check for it on federal's site from time to time. Always unavailable. I saw on ammo seek, i could get 5000 rounds of it for like 1100$. I just want a few boxes. Not a lifetime supply.

I don't plan to carry it personally. My fiancee has been shooting 22 well. Her 9mm accuracy and handling leaves much to be desired.

I'm working with her on it. But she has weak wrists (i think she can overcome this). She has a hard time racking the slide and even managed to repeatedly short stroke my Ruger mark iv with a bad grip. Yes, lots of good pun and joke material here.

In a few months, if she does her part, i think she'll be comfortable shooting 9mm. But right now, she needs that 22 confidence booster.

In short, I've rambled on about why i want that ammo even though I'll likely never use it.

-Zach

(Luzerne County)

My fiancee has been shooting 22 well. Her 9mm accuracy and handling leaves much to be desired.

I'm working with her on it. But she has weak wrists (i think she can overcome this). She has a hard time racking the slide and even managed to repeatedly short stroke my Ruger mark iv with a bad grip. Yes, lots of good pun and joke material here.
    If she can shoot .22 well then she can shoot a larger caliber well also. Sounds like her problems are ancillary.....with handling a semi auto.
    Have her try a revolver.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

I doubt any rabbit or squirrel will notice any difference when hit by any 22 ammo !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast