Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default LR-308 Buffer Question

I have an 18” mid length heavy barrel with a non adj gas block, with a a 3.8 oz carbine buffer. It functions fine but ejects the brass like a lawn sprinkler in a 15 foot arc.

I think a heavier buffer might cushion the BCG better. There aren’t many choices between 3.8 and 5.3oz. Would a 5.3 oz be too heavy?

Please don’t recommend a $100+ option. I’ve spent enough on this one as it is.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Default Re: LR-308 Buffer Question

It functions fine,
    If it ain't broke , don't fix it!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    If it ain't broke , don't fix it!
    Well yeah, there’s always that. I do tend to overthink shit.

I’m just concerned that the BCG may be prone to premature wear due to the excessive shock, from the buffer being too light. Reliability is important to me as well.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

My LR-308 has a 24in heavy stainless barrel and whatever buffer came in it. Never notice the bolt/carrier hitting 'hard'. It does throw the spent brass.

LR at range.jpg

I have a net I use at the bench I made from 3/8x3ft long steel rods welded to 2 clamps with a crosspiece I drape a hunk of GI surplus camo net over. Kinda like a 3ftx3ft ping-pong table net. Works well
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I think the rifle length usually go with the long buffers and tube. From what I’ve read, on an 18” mid length, a heavy carbine buffer with a .308 spring is the way to go. .308 ARs are still new to me.

Recoil isn’t bad and it seems to function fine. The spent brass looks almost new, despite being launched a few yards across the rocks. I think it could benefit from a heavier buffer. I might just try one for the hell of it.

(Lancaster County)

I put this in a AR10 18" mid length that was also throwing brass into the next county, It tamed it down nicely at the heaviest weight

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Odi...s-abs-ar10.htm

Check your bolt lugs often, the short barrel/gas system AR10's can wear them prematurely, my opinion is most production rifles are overgassed slightly

A 5.3oz 2.5" 308 carbine buffer probably won't be to heavy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021956650?pid=724762

But... I am going to have to say ,IMHO, an adj. GB would be a better solution. As in save up for one if needed.

All my Large Frame AR's use them. 308, 6.5CM , various gsa lengths and barrel lengths.

The Aero Precision Adj. GB is a value, with many preferred features.

https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-pre...file-gas-block

(Delaware County)

I*m gonna agree with bfoosh006. Adjustable Gas Block is the way to go. I*ve used adjustable GB*s on EVERY build I*ve done since 2014 (more than a few!)and I*ve used the same kind on the last 4 or 5. I came across and started using the Wojtek clamp on adjustable GB*s. They are actually sold by several manufacturers.

Made from 1018 steel and Nitride treated. Work great, and the price is perfect, because money isn*t wasted on a NAME or O LOGO*s. Pick up one of these and your overgassing problem will be over.

Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Slash’s heavy buffer and spring. I run it in my 18” DMR build. Cuts recoil significantly and reduces wear on the rifle/receiver. There are reports out there that the DPMS 308 rifles were breaking parts due to the light buffer and overgassing shortly after purchasing new.

Heavybuffers.com, Clint is a stand up guy and will ship immediately. Highly recommend him.

Its $100 option but well worth it . Combined with an adjustable block, i am shooting factory 308 loads and the rifle recoils like a 9mm PCC. Surplus 7.62 ammo recoils like a 22lr (a good compensator also helps with this too...)